A P.E.I. runner recalls her experience in Boston after two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday killing at least three people and injuring dozens.

So far, there has been no word on the motive or who may have launched the attack.

Jennie Orr, 21, from Mayfield, P.E.I. went to Boston to run in the marathon. She said she heard a bang about 30 minutes after she crossed the finish line. She said she was about two blocks away.

Help for Canadians in Boston

Canadian Consulate: 1-617-247-5100

Foreign Affairs Canada: 1-800-387-3124

Google person finder

"I just assumed that maybe a crane dropped something. But there were a few bombs that had gone off and then people started running towards us and I was so sore that I couldn’t run away from it but we crossed the street," she said.

"I was pretty sore after the marathon. I was glad to have my aunt with me."

Boston Police Department Commissioner Ed Davis said that around 2:50 p.m., simultaneous explosions occurred near the finish line — about 45 to 90 metres apart — that resulted in "multiple casualties."

Davis said that no other explosive devices have been found so far, but that any parcel left along the race route is being treated as suspicious.

Earlier, Boston police had said two people had been killed and 23 injured but Davis wouldn't confirm any numbers. Other media reports put the injury totals at up to 100 people.

Competitors and race organizers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

One runner, a state police officer from neighbouring Rhode Island, said he saw at least two dozen people with very serious injuries, including missing limbs.

According to the Boston Marathon website, there were 19 Islanders registered to run the race.

Orr said as far as she knows, everyone from P.E.I. is safe.

"A lot of them said they'd be doing (a) Maritime marathon from now on instead of coming down to Boston because we’re all a little scared," she said.

She said after the ordeal, she has second thoughts about returning.

"In all honesty I don’t know, I was planning to come back next year and I don't necessarily know if I will after this time. I might do something closer to home," said Orr.