P.E.I. health officials have determined that norovirus was the source of a gastro-intensional illness that made 60 people sick last weekend at the Stanhope Beach Resort.

Chief Health Officer Dr. Heather Morrison said test results confirmed what they had suspected.

"We did receive results from stool samples that did confirm norovirus," said Morrison.

"Norovirus can be easily spread from person to person or if an infected person touches food it can be spread. It can also be spread in washrooms and it can be airborne so even if someone is flushing the toilet who has diarrhea it can be airborne."

Morrison said the resort staff has been very co-operative with health officials to ensure everything has been cleaned thoroughly.

No one else has become ill since the weekend.