A working smoke detector could have saved the life of a man who died in a fire in Crapaud Sunday evening, says the provincial fire marshal.
The body of 63-year-old Kent Ferguson was found by firefighters in an upstairs bedroom.
He died of smoke inhalation.
The investigation into the fatal fire wrapped up Tuesday.
The fire started in the living room and was caused by a space heater placed too close to the couch, said Dave Rossiter, the provincial fire marshal.
Rossiter said a working detector could have saved Ferguson's life.
Test batteries weekly
"We are pretty certain that there was only the one smoke alarm in the home at the time. And that smoke alarm was not working properly," said Rossiter.
Rossiter said when they examined the smoke detector it appeared to contain an old battery.
"We also interviewed the firefighters that had gained entry and found the victim and at that time they heard no working smoke alarm sounding at that point."
This incident indicates the importance of ensuring smoke detectors are working properly and that space heaters have sufficient clearance from combustibles such as clothing, drapes and household furnishings, said Rossiter.
He said smoke alarms should be located in hallways outside bedrooms and in every bedroom.
Battery powered smoke alarms should have their batteries replaced every six months and should be tested weekly, said Rossiter.