The City of Summerside is moving to settle its lawsuit against an American concert promoter who said she would bring a Michael Jackson tribute concert to Prince Edward Island.

'There can be no discussion on this.' — Coun. Bruce MacDougall

Katrina Berg Sussmeier and her company Starlink Productions of California told the city the tribute would include Justin Timberlake and Beyonce. The city paid $1.3 million for the concert, an amount equal to about $100 for every Summerside resident. It was supposed to happen in July 2009, just weeks after Jackson died.

Sussmeier has said Summerside sabotaged the concert by directly contacting the management of performers she was negotiating with.

The city filed a $1.3-million lawsuit earlier this year to get the money back, but has now ordered its legal team to settle. Finance chair Coun. Bruce MacDougall moved to settle as one of the first orders of business at city council's meeting Monday evening.

"I just want to say that there can be no discussion on this," said MacDougall as he made the motion.

"There will be no further information released until a later date."

The vote to settle was unanimous, but after council MacDougall hinted not everyone is happy with the offer currently on the table.

"We'd all like to have our money back," he said.

"But the council as a whole has agreed to an amount and we're moving this forward."

MacDougall won't say how much money the city is now looking for, but a source close to the case says Summerside can expect about US$600,000.

Once the papers are signed, MacDougall said, the city will release settlement details.