mi-pei-lennox-island-fire

Eight people are out of their homes after a fire in Lennox Island First Nation, P.E.I. early Saturday morning, according to the Canadian Red Cross. (Pat Faller/CBC)

A fire that left eight people homeless in Lennox Island First Nation, P.E.I. early Saturday morning was started by a cigarette, according to fire officials.

The Canadian Red Cross is sheltering six adults and two children after their four-unit apartment building burned.

The fire department said the flames started on the second floor and a woman had to climb through a window to escape.

A woman was examined for smoke inhalation, but there were no reported injuries.