Kitchen appliance glitch caused apartment fire

A fire that gutted an apartment in Montague early Sunday morning was caused by an electrical malfunction in an appliance sitting on a kitchen counter, says the province's Deputy Fire marshal, Robert Arsenault.

P.E.I.'s deputy fire marshal rules blaze accidental

A fire that gutted an apartment in Montague early Sunday morning was caused by an electrical malfunction in an appliance sitting on a kitchen counter, says the province's Deputy Fire Marshal, Robert Arsenault.

The fire was accidental, says Arsenault, who has wrapped up his investigation.

All tenants in the four-unit building are temporarily homeless as a result of the fire.

The apartment where the fire began was completely gutted and the other three apartments had smoke and water damage.