Robert Arsenault

Robert Arsenault, provincial deputy fire chief, says a fire in a Lower Montague apartment building was ruled accidental.

A fire that gutted an apartment in Montague early Sunday morning was caused by an electrical malfunction in an appliance sitting on a kitchen counter, says the province's Deputy Fire Marshal, Robert Arsenault.

The fire was accidental, says Arsenault, who has wrapped up his investigation.

All tenants in the four-unit building are temporarily homeless as a result of the fire.

The apartment where the fire began was completely gutted and the other three apartments had smoke and water damage.