A fire Sunday that killed a man in Stratford, P.E.I. was caused by gasoline fumes that ignited in a small shed, says provincial Fire Marshal Dave Rossiter.

Rossiter said 59-year-old Martin McAskill was preparing to put a snow blower away for the summer months when the fire started.

Rossiter is urging Islanders to use extreme caution when using flammable liquids, especially in enclosed areas. He noted that in recent weeks there have been two fatalities and one fire with an injury in the province related to flammable liquids being used within structures.

Flammable liquids should be stored and used away from any heat source or flame, he said, and before starting the motor the equipment should be moved at least three metres away from the fueling spot. This will prevent vapors from igniting.