An elderly Charlottetown couple fled a house fire Friday night.
Tim Mamye, deputy fire chief for the Charlottetown Fire Department, said it started about 7:30 p.m. on Waverly Court.
“When we got there it was fully involved. The fire was in the basement area,” he said.
“Upon investigation we discovered some ashes were taken from the fireplace, placed in a combustible container and placed against the side of the house at the front of the house."
The ashes caught fire and spread to the house. The bungalow was badly damaged, but the couple was not hurt.
Mamye urged people to carefully dispose of fire ash, as embers can burn undetected for days before igniting into a bigger fire.
Ash should always be left outside in a metal container with a lid and stored away from any structure, he said.