A show cause hearing, which will determine if a 17-year-old P.E.I. girl will remain in custody as her murder trial proceeds, has been delayed a second time.
Both the Crown and defence told provincial court Judge Nancy Orr Tuesday they weren't prepared to go ahead with the hearing.
The girl is accused of stabbing to death 45-year-old Kent David Gallant on July 11. The case had already been adjourned once on July 16. The girl has been in custody since her arrest in the early morning hours of July 12.
Both lawyers say they are waiting to see transcripts of 30 video statements recorded by Charlottetown Police. According to Crown attorney Valerie Moore the videos have not been transcribed. Moore said she has pushed Charlottetown Police Chief Paul Smith for the transcriptions, but Smith has told her police are concerned about the cost of transcribing that many videos.
In a statement, Smith says Charlottetown Police Services has provided the Crown with with everything it has from its investigation in a timely manner, including video statements from witnesses, the accused and others affected by the murder.
"Charlottetown Police Services has asked the Crown attorney’s office to review the video statements in this case to determine which statements are priorities for transcription, given the time sensitivities and serious nature of the case,” says Smith.
Orr agreed having transcriptions of the video will be necessary if the case proceeds to trial. She appeared frustrated upon hearing the transcriptions haven't been provided yet.
"The allegation is murder," she said.
"You can't get anything more serious than that … The accused youth in this matter has rights that have to be recognized and preserved."
Orr adjourned the case until Thursday. In the meantime, the accused has been remanded in custody at the Summerside Youth Correctional Centre.
Several of the accused's friends were in court. After leaving, they cried and hugged one another.