A man from Burma who immigrated to P.E.I. in 1999 is still waiting to hear if his family has survived the devastating cyclone that hit his home country last weekend.

So far, the official death toll released by the Burmese government is 22,500, with more than 41,000 people missing. With officials still unable to reach some of the hardest hit areas, there are fears up to 100,000 people have died in the disaster.

Aung Lowt, with his wife and three children, are among the longest-term Burmese residents of the Island.

"I couldn't sleep for two days now, and I'm still trying to get in touch with my family," Lowt told CBC News Wednesday.

"I don't know what situation they are facing now. Are they alive or are they dead? I don't know."

Lowt is also frustrated by the actions of the military junta, which has ruled the country, also known as Myanmar, since 1962. He said the government officials are fearful of people from other countries and that is slowing the ability of aid agencies to provide help.

Aid groups and governments around the world are begging the military to allow humanitarian help into the flood-ravaged areas.