Here are P.E.I.'s top baby names in 2016
Olivia and William led the pack among the youngest Islanders
William and Olivia were the most popular names for babies born on P.E.I. this year, according to the province's Vital Statistics.
William, which has been popular in English since the Norman conquest in the 11th century, was also the most popular name in the province overall. It was the fifth most popular boys name last year.
Olivia, a name first coined by Shakespeare, was the most popular girls name in P.E.I., up from third place last year.
Both names were popular right across the country. Of the four other CBC regions that have tabulated newborn names so far, Olivia has been the most popular girls name in all of them, while William has been near the top in all of them.
There were 1,350 babies born to Island families this year as of Dec. 21, including about 40 born at the IWK in Halifax. Here are P.E.I.'s top newborn names of 2016:
1. Olivia (10)
2. Ellie, Charlotte (tied - 8)
4. Harper (7)
5. Sophia, Ivy, Sadie, Abigail, Chloe, Kylie (tied - 6)
1. William (13)
2. Oliver (12)
3. Emmett (11)
4. Jack, Hudson (tied - 10)
6. Ethan (9)
7. Wyatt, Jacob, Liam, Hunter, Thomas (tied - 7)
- MORE P.E.I. NEWS | Al Douglas and his beard surpass fundraising goal by more than a whisker
- MORE P.E.I. NEWS | 'An entire semester in 1 week': P.E.I. woman takes part in pharmacare panel
- An earlier version of this story stated there were 693 births on P.E.I. in 2016, which was the number provided to CBC P.E.I. by the province. The province later corrected that number 1,350 babies born to Island families.Dec 30, 2016 1:58 PM AT