Firefighters on P.E.I. were kept busy with three separate fires over the long weekend.

Deputy fire marshal Robert Arsenault said a fire that started early Saturday morning in an O'Leary home was caused by a lightning strike. The fire started in an upstairs hallway. The lightning caused arcing in telephone wiring.

pe-si-robertarsenault

Lightning started a fire in an O'Leary home early Saturday morning, said deputy fire marshal Robert Arsenault. (CBC)

North Rustico and New Glasgow fire departments responded to a fire in an outbuilding in North Rustico Saturday morning. Arsenault determined the cause was a malfunction in a utility light on an extension cord in the building. Damage to the building was minimal.

On Sunday, a propane water heater started a fire in a seasonal cottage in Linkletter.

Arsenault said the heater had rusted and deteriorated, and the floor underneath it ignited. Summerside Fire Department responded at about 3 p.m.

In a news release, the fire marshal's office reminded people to thoroughly check appliances before using them for the summer season.