160 ill after church dinner
Public health officials on P.E.I. are trying to find out what made 160 sick after they purchased a takeout meal from Princetown United Church in Malpeque last weekend.
Health officials believe it's a case of accidental food poisoning.
Deputy chief health officer Dr. Lamont Sweet said food samples are being tested on P.E.I. and some samples are also being sent out of province. Stool samples of the people who became ill are also being taken. Environmental health officials are testing the areas where the food was prepared, such as cutting boards and meat grinders. Water tests are also being conducted.
In all 500 takeout roast beef meals were sold.
So far no one has become seriously ill or required hospitalization. Sweet said the number of calls coming in reporting illness has started to diminish.
Sweet said in the last 22 years there have been three reports of food poisoning from church suppers on P.E.I.