10 tips to navigate Charlottetown on Shania Twain concert day
A major concert, tall ships, sports, busker festival... Charlottetown could be tough to navigate
A number of events are taking place in Charlottetown on Labour Day weekend — the Canadian Fast Pitch Championships, the PEI Busker Festival, Founders Week activities, tall ships in the harbour, the Charlottetown Islanders Street Hockey Festival and the Shania Twain concert, which is expected to draw 22,000 people to the city Saturday night.
Concert day will be particularly hectic in Charlottetown.
Here are 10 tips to help you navigate the city on concert day.
1. Charlottetown officials encourage people not to drive downtown. If you need to take a car, expect delays, especially near the Charlottetown Event Grounds, site of the Shania Twain concert.
2. Paid parking is available next to event grounds. VIP Parking is accessible from Water Street only. General Parking is accessible from both Grafton and Park Streets.
3. If a car is absolutely necessary, consider carpooling. Better yet, walk, bike, use public transit or take a taxi.
- City of Charlottetown parking facilities
- Charlottetown Police safety and traffic/parking guidelines
- Public transit schedule
4. A police-controlled pedestrian lane will run on Water Street to the concert site from the corner of Weymouth Street.
5. The back parking lot of the Workers' Compensation Board building is the designated drop-off and pick-up location for concert-goers.
6. A parking area for people with disabilities will be available in the General Parking area for general ticket holders and at the Boardwalk Professionals Pharmacy, 220 Water Street, for Grandstand\VIP ticket holders (accessible from Water Street only). A wheelchair-accessible shuttle will transport people to and from the concert site free of charge.
7. A taxi-pooling area will be located on Edward Street between Kent and Grafton Streets.
8. Grafton and Water streets will remain open in both directions for vehicle traffic until the concert ends.
9. Edward Street will be closed between Kent and Grafton Streets on the day of the event.
10. Concert gates open at 4:30 p.m. Here are some concert-goer tips.