Victoria Day 2014 in Ottawa: What's open and what's closed
Includes information on LCBOs, grocery stores, malls, garbage pick-up, public transit and more
Food and drink:
- All Ottawa LCBOs will be closed.
- All Ottawa Loblaws locations will be closed, with the exception of the location of Rideau Street, which will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All Ottawa Food Basics locations will be closed.
- All Ottawa Metro grocery stores will be closed, with the exception of the 24-hour Metro store on Rideau Street, which will remain open.
- The Hartman's Grocery Store on Bank Street will be closed.
- The Real Canadian Superstore on Richmond Road will be closed.
- The Herb & Spice grocery stores on Bank Street and Wellington Street West will be open.
- Most ByWard Market businesses are open.
- Shoppers Drug Mart stores will be open.
- The Rideau Centre will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The St. Laurent Shopping Centre will be closed.
- The Bayshore Shopping Centre will be closed.
- Hazeldean Mall will be closed.
- Place d'Orleans will be closed.
- All banks will be closed.
- Ottawa City Hall and all seven client service centres, including the Government Service Centre at 110 Laurier Ave. W., will be closed. Business will resume as usual on Tuesday.
- Provincial Offences Court, at 100 Constellation Cres., will be closed. Business will resume as usual on Tuesday.
- The city’s 311 contact centre will be open for urgent matters requiring the city’s immediate attention. Call 311 or 613-580-2400 to speak to someone. For persons living with a hearing-related disability, call (TTY: 613-580-2401).
Garbage, green bin and recycling collection:
- There will be no curbside green bin, recycling or garbage collection on Victoria Day. Victoria Day’s pick up will take place on Tuesday. In addition, the collection of green bin, recycling materials and garbage will be delayed by one day for the week of May 19. For curbside collection inquiries, refer to the collection calendar tool.
- There will be no multi-residential collection of bulky items, green bin and recycling container collection on Victoria Day. Victoria Day’s pick-up will take place on Tuesday. Recycling container and green bin collection will also be delayed by one day for the week of May 19.
- However, multi-residential garbage container collection is not delayed and collection will take place on its regularly scheduled day during the week of May 19.
- The Trail Waste Facility will be closed.
- All City of Ottawa parking regulations and restrictions will apply on Victoria Day.
- OC Transpo service will operate on a Sunday schedule on Victoria Day. Call 613-560-1000 or text 560560 plus your four-digit bus stop number for automated schedule information. For more information, holiday schedules and travel planning, phone 613-741-4390 or visit octranspo.com.
- OC Transpo Sales and Information Centres will be closed on Victoria Day, with the exception of the Rideau Centre office, which will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The OC Transpo Information Centre (613-741-4390) will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Victoria Day.
- The OC Transpo Customer Relations Department (613-842-3600) will be closed on Victoria Day.
- Many pools, fitness centres and some arenas will be open on Victoria Day for public swimming, skating and fitness classes with modified schedules. Please check with ottawa.ca or the facility of your choice for details.
- Many registered programs at swimming pools, community centres and arenas are cancelled on Victoria Day; however, clients should check with their facility to confirm, as some exceptions will apply.
Ottawa Public Health:
- The Ottawa Public Health Information Line and Aids-Sexual Health Info Line will be closed.
- The Sexual Health Centre and satellite clinics will be closed.
- The SITE office at 179 Clarence St. will be closed, but the SITE mobile van will be operating on a regular schedule from 5 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Dental clinics will be closed.
- Well Baby Drop-in will be closed.
- City of Ottawa Archives, arts centres, galleries, theatres and museums will be closed on Victoria Day. However, clients should check with ottawa.ca or their facility to confirm holiday hours, as some exceptions may apply.
- The Billings Estate National Historic Site, Cumberland Heritage Village Museum and Pinhey’s Point Historic Site will be closed. But the Nepean Museum and the park at Pinhey’s Point Historic Site will remain open.
- Fairfields Heritage House will be open by appointment only.
- The City of Ottawa Archives Reference Services and Gallery 112 will be closed from Saturday, May 17, to Monday, May 19, for the Victoria Day weekend.
Municipal child care services:
- City-operated child care centres will be closed.
Ottawa Public Library:
- All branches, departments and services of the Ottawa Public Library will be closed on Victoria Day. Business will resume as usual on Tuesday.