Thurso father charged with manslaughter after newborn baby girl dies
Baby, not yet 2 months old, found unconscious at Thurso, Que., home last Wednesday
A man from Thurso, Que., has been charged with manslaughter after his newborn baby girl died from injuries suffered when she was allegedly shaken.
The 25-year-old man, whose name has been withheld to protect the child's identity, was originally charged on Thursday with aggravated assault after his baby was found unconscious one day earlier.
The infant, who was not yet two months old, was rushed to hospital in nearby Buckingham, Que., before being transferred to a hospital in Ottawa with symptoms of shaken baby syndrome.
She remained in critical condition until she died from her injuries on Friday night, police said.
On Monday, the man was charged with manslaughter and the aggravated assault charge was dropped.
Last week, the Crown opposed the father's release and he remained behind bars over the weekend. His bail hearing is now scheduled for Wednesday.
Marc-André Cayen, the lawyer representing the baby's father, said he doesn't have a criminal record and had never been arrested before.