A family is homeless after their home south of Ottawa was destroyed by fire but a local boy is being applauded for kicking down the front door and saving the pet dogs.
Firefighters responded to a 911 call reporting smoke and flames from the home at 7398 McCordick Road, about 35 km south of Ottawa, at 11:50 a.m. Friday.
When crews arrived, firefighters immediately attacked the fire from outside to be able to enter the home. But the fire grew quickly and firefighters were forced to remain outside.
A teenager who lives down the street said he kicked the door down to get the two dogs.
"One dog ran straight to the road and we haven't found him yet. The other dog we grabbed from inside the house," said Liam Crockett, who was in a car with his friend when they saw smoke and flames and called 911.
The fire was burning for several hours, accelerated by propane tanks that exploded behind the home, Crockett said.
There were no injuries reported. Neither the cause nor the total damage loss has been determined.
Police also closed McCordick for several hours as a result of the fire but it reopened Friday evening.