Sumac-seared Albacore tuna with olives, lemon and herbs
Chefx is a local company delivering a weekly box of chef-inspired recipes and all the fresh ingredients needed to make your selected meals.
Owner Jeff Heaton and Marc Lepine, the chef at Atelier are the guests on All in a Day on Wednesday to talk about the idea and are bringing along Lepine's recipe for Sumac-seared Albacore Tuna with Olives, Lemon and Herbs.
Here's how to make it:
Sumac-seared Albacore Tuna with Olives, Lemon and Herbs
(a.k.a. “Surf & Turf”)
Estimated time to prepare: 45 minutes
- 2 pieces albacore tuna.
- 1 tbsp ground sumac.
- 1 cup dried olives.
- 1/2 cup shimeji mushrooms.
- 100 ml white wine vinegar.
- 1 shallot.
- 2 cloves garlic.
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns.
- 2 lemons.
- 1 tsp agar-agar flakes.
- 8-10 tiny carrots.
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber.
- Assorted herbs (chervil, lemon balm, tarragon, dill).
- Assorted edible flowers.
- 50 ml water.
- 1 tbsp & 2 tsp sugar.
- 1/2 tbsp salt.
- 2 tbsp olive oil.
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
Pickle the shimeji mushrooms
- Crush garlic, mince shallot and separate Shimeji mushrooms and place in a bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine white wine vinegar, garlic, shallot, black peppercorns, 50 ml water, 1⁄2 tbsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, and bring to a boil.
- Pour boiling liquid over mushrooms and allow mushrooms to cool.
Make the lemon fluid gel
- Juice lemons (2 tbsp + 2 tbsp for dressing carrots/cucumbers).
- In a small saucepan, combine 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp water, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp agar-agar flakes and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 20 seconds, then pour onto a plate and allow to set.
- (Once set, mash with the back of a chef’s knife if necessary to make a smooth gel.)
Prepare remaining ingredients
- Mince dried olives.
- Peel carrots.
- Peel green skin from cucumber and discard, then use peeler to make white ribbons the length of the cucumber.
Dress carrots and cucumbers
In a bowl, combine carrots and cucumber, 2 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp olive oil, and toss.
- Dust tuna with sumac and salt.
- In a frying pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until pan is quite hot.
- Sear tuna only very briefly (about 1 minute per side) to keep it very rare.
- Spread olive grinds on plate and sit tuna overtop.
- Spoon small dots of lemon gel near tuna, then anchor carrots vertically using the lemon gel.
- Twist cucumbers into bouncy shapes and arrange around tuna, along with flowers, herbs, and shimeji mushrooms. Take a photo and enjoy!