Man, 19, beaten with baseball bat in Gatineau
Motive for Wednesday night attack so far unknown, Gatineau police say
Posted: Mar 7, 2013 9:40 AM ET
Last Updated: Mar 7, 2013 12:08 PM ET
A 19-year-old man was beaten with a baseball bat while walking in Gatineau on Wednesday night, police say.
It happened on Cavalière Street — near Saint-Louis and de Picardie streets — at about 11:30 p.m.
The man was walking along the street when he noticed two men following him, police say.
He ducked into a home's backyard to get away from them, but they followed.
The 19-year-old suffered multiple fractures and cuts during the attack.
He managed to knock on the door of a home nearby to ask for help once the men fled, said Gatineau police spokesman Const. Pierre Lanthier. Paramedics arrived and took him to hospital, where he remained Thursday.
Police don't yet have a motive, and no arrests have been made.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Ottawa police probing possible dumpster arson in Bayshore
- Ottawa police are investigating a possible arson involving four dumpsters that damaged nearby vehicles on Woodridge Crescent Sunday morning. more »
- Man resuscitated after boat flips in Ottawa River
- A 60-year-old man was rescued from the Ottawa River after a boat he was fishing in flipped on Saturday afternoon at Crystal Beach, paramedics say. more »
- Man, 48, run over by forklift at Bank Street work site
- A 48-year-old man tripped at a work site on Saturday afternoon and was run over by a forklift, paramedics said. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Jeep driver apologizes after stunt kills Edmonton woman
- A man claiming to be the driver of a Jeep that struck and killed a spectator at a charity event in Edmonton says he is sorry for what happened. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- 2 earthquakes felt in Ontario and Quebec
- Bagpiper finds extremely rare instrument at auction
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Fallen rugby player remembered at tournament
- Pens ride Sidney Crosby hat trick to put Sens in hole
- Teen rugby player dies after suffering head injury in game
- Gatineau officer shot her own leg, police say
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Homicide victim served jail time for 2008 stabbing