Ottawa councillor Stephen Blais out of coronary care unit
Blais suffered heart attack Jan. 6 during workout at GoodLife Fitness in east Ottawa
Posted: Mar 5, 2013 4:43 PM ET
Last Updated: Mar 5, 2013 4:42 PM ET
Ottawa city councillor Stephen Blais has been moved out of the coronary care unit at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute two months after he suffered a heart attack.
Blais released a message on his Twitter account for the first time since Jan. 6, the day he suffered a heart attack while working out at a GoodLife Fitness in Place D'Orleans mall.
"Out of the CCU and in a regular room — thx to all nurses who took such good care of me — so fortunate to have Heart Institute in #ottcity," Blais wrote using the social media website.
Blais was in a medically induced coma for two days after the incident to help his recovery, which is a procedure often used after cardiac arrests. Two weeks later he contracted pneumonia in the hospital.
The councillor of the Cumberland ward in east Ottawa has been on medical leave as he recovers.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Ottawa police probing possible dumpster arson in Bayshore
- Ottawa police are investigating a possible arson involving four dumpsters that damaged nearby vehicles on Woodridge Crescent Sunday morning. more »
- Man resuscitated after boat flips in Ottawa River
- A 60-year-old man was rescued from the Ottawa River after a boat he was fishing in flipped on Saturday afternoon at Crystal Beach, paramedics say. more »
- Man, 48, run over by forklift at Bank Street work site
- A 48-year-old man tripped at a work site on Saturday afternoon and was run over by a forklift, paramedics said. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Jeep driver apologizes after stunt kills Edmonton woman
- A man claiming to be the driver of a Jeep that struck and killed a spectator at a charity event in Edmonton says he is sorry for what happened. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- 2 earthquakes felt in Ontario and Quebec
- Bagpiper finds extremely rare instrument at auction
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Fallen rugby player remembered at tournament
- Pens ride Sidney Crosby hat trick to put Sens in hole
- Teen rugby player dies after suffering head injury in game
- Gatineau officer shot her own leg, police say
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Homicide victim served jail time for 2008 stabbing