Queen in hospital with stomach ailment
Expected to stay for 2 days
The Associated Press
Posted: Mar 3, 2013 11:07 AM ET
Last Updated: Mar 3, 2013 2:37 PM ET
Queen Elizabeth has been hospitalized over an apparent stomach infection that has ailed her for days, Buckingham Palace said Sunday. The monarch will have to cancel a visit to Rome and other engagements as she recovers.
The palace said the 86-year-old British monarch had experienced symptoms of gastroenteritis and was being examined at London's King Edward VII Hospital.
"As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or cancelled," the palace said in a statement.
A press officer at Buckingham Palace said the Queen is " only expected to spend two days in hospital."
"The Queen was admitted to King Edward VII hospital at around 3 p.m. today...She is otherwise in good health. Her hospitalization is precautionary. All official engagements will regrettably be postponed or cancelled for one week."
He mentioned she had carried out a medal presentation at Windsor Castle before being driven to the hospital. He said "we will see how it goes but the Queen is only expected to spend 2 days in hospital."
Elizabeth's two-day trip to Rome had been planned to start Wednesday. A palace spokeswoman said the trip may be "reinstated" at a later date.
The symptoms of gastroenteritis — vomiting and diarrhea — usually pass after one or two days, although they can be more severe in older or otherwise vulnerable people. Dehydration is a common complication.
The illness was first announced Friday, and the Queen had to cancel a visit Swansea, Wales, on Saturday to present leeks — a national symbol — to soldiers of the Royal Welsh Regiment in honour of Wales' national day, St. David's Day. She instead spent the day trying to recover at Windsor Castle, but appears to have had trouble kicking the bug.
A doctor not involved in the Queen's treatment said that if medical officials determined she had lost too much fluid, she could be rehydrated intravenously.
"I suspect that she's being assessed and that it'll be a relatively uncomplicated treatment," Dr. Chaand Nagpaul told Sky News television. "It is very much about ensuring that the body receives the fluid it needs."
Elizabeth is one of Britain's longest-reigning monarchs and has rarely let ill health get in the way of her still-busy schedule.
About five months ago, she cancelled an engagement due to a bad back. The last time Elizabeth was hospitalized was in 2003, when she had arthroscopic surgery to remove torn cartilage from her knee.
The Queen has undertaken a number of engagements over the past week. On Tuesday, she met the new archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, at Buckingham Palace, and on Thursday she presented a host of Olympic stars, including track and field star Jessica Ennis, with honours during an investiture ceremony.
Ingrid Seward, the editor of the Britain's Majesty Magazine, said that the queen "probably agreed to be hospitalized in order to get better quickly."
"Everybody will want to be wishing her a speedy recovery," she told Sky.
With files form The Associated PressShare Tools
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Queen in hospital with stomach ailment
- The Queen has been admitted to hospital for first time in 10 years after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis. more »
- 3 taken to hospital after shooting involving OPP
- Three people were taken to hospital with serious injuries after an incident involving police gunfire in Bancroft, Ont., early Saturday, and the province's Special Investigations Unit is investigating. more »
- Police find missing teen girl safe and sound
- Ottawa police have found a 14-year-old girl who went missing on Friday night. more »
- Senators, Islanders look to get back on track
- The Senators are out to avoid their first three-game slide Sunday when they face an Islanders team that is winless through three games of a seven-game homestand. more »
Top News Headlines
- Officer shot dead in northern Quebec ID'd, standoff ongoing
- A 27-year-old northern Quebec police officer was shot dead while responding to a domestic dispute on Saturday night, and provincial police were still trying to arrest the suspect more than 17 hours later. more »
- Pakistan bomb outside mosque kills 37
- Police say a car bomb has killed at least 37 people and wounded another 141 in a neighborhood dominated by Shia Muslims in the southern Pakistan city of Karachi. more »
- Liberal MPs Murray and Garneau challenge frontrunner Trudeau
- In the fourth of five federal Liberal leadership debates, carried live on CBC News Network, eight candidates made a last-ditch effort to shore up support for their campaigns. more »
- Canadian film, TV in spotlight for final Screen Awards gala
- The inaugural Canadian Screen Awards ramp up to a big finale Sunday evening with a televised gala hosted by comedian Martin Short and a final batch of awards largely focusing on cinematic achievements. more »
Most Viewed/Commented
- Police find missing teen girl safe and sound
- Officer shot dead in northern Quebec, standoff continues
- Potholes add to Ottawa commuter woes
- Retired priest faces more sex-assault charges
- Former Ottawa teacher quits after sex allegations
- Hwy. 417 lane reopens after tractor-trailer crash
- Senator Mike Duffy's P.E.I. seat not safe yet
- Competition Bureau raids engineering firm's Gatineau offices
- Ottawa teacher accused of having sex with student

