Inmate numbers drop sharply at Ottawa cellblock
5 lawsuits launched related to cell block complaints seeking more than $4 million
CBC News
Posted: Feb 27, 2013 7:33 AM ET
Last Updated: Feb 28, 2013 3:30 PM ET
Related
The number of inmates locked up in the Ottawa police cell block has declined steadily over the past couple years after new policies and procedures were introduced in response to public outcry, which then led to a rise in lawsuits against the force, police say.
There are currently five lawsuits in Ontario Superior Court naming Ottawa police and seeking more than $4 million in damages.
The cases name 15 Ottawa police officers or special constables for alleged assaults in the Ottawa cell block at police headquarters on Elgin Street.
The case with the highest profile features Sgt. Steven Desjourdy, who faces one charge of sexual assault in connection to a 2008 arrest.
That case originated from the arrest of a woman for public intoxication, which was captured on surveillance video. The alleged victim’s name can't be released due to a publication ban. The verdict is expected April 3.
Microphones added to cameras
Not long after, the police made changes to how they deal with public intoxication and how they monitor people within the cell block.
In 2008 — the year of the infamous video incident involving Desjourdy — Central Cell block took in 11, 630 prisoners. Nearly 20 percent of these prisoners were brought in for being drunk in public.
As of last year inmate numbers have dropped to 7,100 prisoners. And the number of people brought in for public intoxication dropped to 747 in 2012. Public intoxication cases now account for 10 percent of all inmates who spend a night in the cell block.
Police have also added microphones to 108 cellblock surveillance cameras to help monitor each night and show a clearer picture of incidents that occur.
The cellblock's 63 cells also have up to five staff members, including a sergeant and up to four special constables.
Judy Trinh (CBC)One of those constables has to be a woman, according to Ottawa police. Tara Burke said she often fills that role. She said most potential inmates are arrested for public intoxication and they often raise the tension inside the cell block.
That often leads to unneeded stress and a higher likelihood of physical altercations, she added.
But Staff Sgt. Neil Preston is seeking to change that.
He was responsible for making changes to the cell block starting in 2011 and one of his first recommendations was to take more steps before putting an intoxicated inmate into a cell.
"We completely brought in a whole new system," Preston told CBC News.
Changes made to arrests for intoxication
Preston said suspects who are either drunk or high on drugs only spend the night in a cell if they pose a risk to themselves or others. Others are released to their families or a shelter.
He said helped reduce the number of prisoners held at the cell block in the past four years.
"I remember times in here where there were multiple prisoners coming in here altogether...it creates a state of chaos," he said.
"That's not a recipe for success."
Preston said he reviews about 10 cell block use-of-force cases each month, which can range from grabbing an arm to pinning a prisoner to the ground. He said he reports any serious incidents to the professional standards division.
Criminal defence lawyer, Bruce Engel, said the cell block changes are a positive sign for an inmate's rights.
Engel is glad there is more evidence to show exactly who is at fault when incidents arise between officers and inmates.
"I've had trouble with the odd client who I'm supposed to assist," he said referring to the state of some inmates.
"I can only imagine how difficult they are with a police officer who might be coming off the ninth or tenth hour of a shift. [He or she] may not have as much patience in dealing with an unruly, drunk, foul-mouthed individual."
Share Tools
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Queen in hospital with stomach ailment
- The Queen has been admitted to hospital for first time in 10 years after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis. more »
- 3 taken to hospital after shooting involving OPP
- Three people were taken to hospital with serious injuries after an incident involving police gunfire in Bancroft, Ont., early Saturday, and the province's Special Investigations Unit is investigating. more »
- Police find missing teen girl safe and sound
- Ottawa police have found a 14-year-old girl who went missing on Friday night. more »
- Senators, Islanders look to get back on track
- The Senators are out to avoid their first three-game slide Sunday when they face an Islanders team that is winless through three games of a seven-game homestand. more »
Top News Headlines
- Surrey Liberals call for B.C. Premier's resignation
- Over one hundred Liberal party members called for the resignation of B.C. Premier Christy Clark at a breakfast meeting in Surrey Sunday morning. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Pakistan bomb outside mosque kills 37
- Police say a car bomb has killed at least 37 people and wounded another 141 in a neighborhood dominated by Shia Muslims in the southern Pakistan city of Karachi. more »
- Liberal MPs Murray and Garneau challenge frontrunner Trudeau
- In the fourth of five federal Liberal leadership debates, carried live on CBC News Network, eight candidates made a last-ditch effort to shore up support for their campaigns. more »
Most Viewed/Commented
- Police find missing teen girl safe and sound
- Officer shot dead in northern Quebec ID'd, standoff ongoing
- Potholes add to Ottawa commuter woes
- Retired priest faces more sex-assault charges
- Former Ottawa teacher quits after sex allegations
- Hwy. 417 lane reopens after tractor-trailer crash
- Ottawa teacher accused of having sex with student
- Competition Bureau raids engineering firm's Gatineau offices
- Senator Mike Duffy's P.E.I. seat not safe yet

