Small plane makes emergency landing in Barrhaven field
Ottawa Flying Club confirms landing happened during training session
Posted: Feb 9, 2013 2:39 PM ET
Last Updated: Feb 10, 2013 9:41 AM ET
A small plane with two people on board in the midst of a training session made an emergency landing in a field near Woodroffe Avenue and Slack Road Saturday afternoon.
The plane had to make the forced landing at about 2 p.m. after being unable to reach the airport.A Beechcraft Duchess twin engine plane operated by the Ottawa Flying Club made a forced landing in a Barrhaven field on Saturday during a training session. (Ottawa Fire Services)
The Ottawa Flying Club confirmed later Saturday that its Beechcraft Duchess BE76 twin engine, C-FDMO, was the plane involved, and that the landing happened during a training session.
Emergency responders were initially having a difficult time reaching the landing site in the field, but the pilot and the passenger were standing next to the plane waving to firefighters as they arrived.
The fuel supply to the plane was shut off and there was no fire, according to fire department spokesman Marc Messier.
The pilot and passenger were uninjured, he added. Paramedics, however, were standing by along Woodroffe to assess them once they reach the road on fire department snowmobiles.
The plane landed upright on its underside, Messier said, and there appeared to be no major structural damage.
The crash site was about 700 yards from Woodroffe, Messier said.
Officials from the Transportation Safety Board are investigating.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Ottawa police probing possible dumpster arson in Bayshore
- Ottawa police are investigating a possible arson involving four dumpsters that damaged nearby vehicles on Woodridge Crescent Sunday morning. more »
- Man resuscitated after boat flips in Ottawa River
- A 60-year-old man was rescued from the Ottawa River after a boat he was fishing in flipped on Saturday afternoon at Crystal Beach, paramedics say. more »
- Man, 48, run over by forklift at Bank Street work site
- A 48-year-old man tripped at a work site on Saturday afternoon and was run over by a forklift, paramedics said. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- 2 earthquakes felt in Ontario and Quebec
- Bagpiper finds extremely rare instrument at auction
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Fallen rugby player remembered at tournament
- Pens ride Sidney Crosby hat trick to put Sens in hole
- Teen rugby player dies after suffering head injury in game
- Gatineau officer shot her own leg, police say
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Homicide victim served jail time for 2008 stabbing