Trenton-area pastor, wife save girl from freezing river
The Canadian Press
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 4:30 PM ET
Last Updated: Feb 7, 2013 5:25 PM ET
A church pastor and his wife are being credited with saving the life of a 13-year-old girl after the car the girl was in plunged into an eastern Ontario river.
Ontario Provincial Police say the incident occurred as the girl and her family were preparing to leave the Full Gospel Church in Frankford, a community north of Trenton, Ont., on Wednesday night.
The young girl was in the car in the church parking lot waiting for other members of her family when the vehicle reversed, crashed through a fence, went over the high retaining wall and plunged into the Trent River.
Onlookers shouted for help as the car was pushed a short distance downstream by the current before coming to rest on its roof, the rushing water filling the passenger compartment.
The pastor and his wife quickly jumped down into the water and tried to free the girl from the car.
Pulled through rear hatch
"At first, because of locked doors, they weren't able to access the interior, but they were ultimately able to pull the freezing girl out through the rear hatch of the vehicle," Const. David Ludington said Thursday.
"Other churchgoers were able to lower a ladder over the edge and all three were pulled to safety."
The girl was taken to hospital by ambulance for treatment of hypothermia, but was later released.
The pastor and his wife were treated at the scene but did not require hospital treatment.
Ludington said it hasn't been determined why the car reversed into the river.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Ottawa police probing possible dumpster arson in Bayshore
- Ottawa police are investigating a possible arson involving four dumpsters that damaged nearby vehicles on Woodridge Crescent Sunday morning. more »
- Man resuscitated after boat flips in Ottawa River
- A 60-year-old man was rescued from the Ottawa River after a boat he was fishing in flipped on Saturday afternoon at Crystal Beach, paramedics say. more »
- Man, 48, run over by forklift at Bank Street work site
- A 48-year-old man tripped at a work site on Saturday afternoon and was run over by a forklift, paramedics said. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- A 20-year-old woman died Saturday during an event for Jeep enthusiasts held in a parking lot just west of downtown Edmonton. more »
- 2 earthquakes felt in Ontario and Quebec
- Bagpiper finds extremely rare instrument at auction
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Fallen rugby player remembered at tournament
- Pens ride Sidney Crosby hat trick to put Sens in hole
- Teen rugby player dies after suffering head injury in game
- Gatineau officer shot her own leg, police say
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Homicide victim served jail time for 2008 stabbing