Councillor wants higher fines for traffic disruption
Posted: Dec 28, 2012 4:35 PM ET
Last Updated: Dec 29, 2012 7:32 PM ET
A city councillor wants higher fines for drivers who block roads without permission or during peak traffic times.
Last year, the province started issuing $1,000 fines for such infractions, but the city still issues $500 fines.
Councillor Steve Desroches wants to raise it, but the extra vigilance won't just affect construction companies.
Desroches says minor fender benders and stalled cars should be dealt with more efficiently, too.
"If you have a stalled car there during peak hours, or if it's on the Hunt Club bridge that car needs to be moved right away," Desroches said. "I don't think we should leave it to the owner to call their relative to come and get them ... to get the vehicle out of there."
The councillor said he wants a more effective policy in place ahead of LRT construction throughout the city.
Abe Nafar is the director of Ottawa Commercial Contractors, that's currently working on a job at Albert and Bank streets. While Nafar says he doesn't want his company to create traffic problems — last month one of his employees racked up $1,800 in parking fines — sometimes it's the cost of doing business.
"I don't like paying those tickets, however, the cost of paying those tickets for us and getting our job done, sometimes it'll work out in our benefit," said Nafar. "Rather than having to park four blocks down the road, having to get another vehicle to transfer equipment ... that's the biggest part where you start seeing construction costs going up."
Nafar said he would rather the city work with contractors to find a better solution that works for everyone. Desroches said contractors should be me more considerate of commuters.
"(Contractors) agree to traffic management plans and they should respect them," he said. "During peak hours, I think they need to be thinking about the hundreds, if not thousands of people who are affected by their disruptions."
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- 1st-degree murder charge laid in Michael Wassill death
- A 20-year-old Ottawa man is once again facing an upgraded murder charge in the death of Michael Wassill, 21, who was stabbed in the neck while his family said he was protecting a friend. more »
- New trial in fatal Rideau Centre hit-and-run
- The Ontario Court of Appeal has ordered a new trial in the case of Vlad Precup, who was originally sentenced to two years less a day in June 2011 for the hit-and-run death of a homeless man. more »
- Woman's basement sprayed with raw sewage
- An Ottawa homeowner says she got little help after city workers flooded her basement with raw sewage last week. more »
- Friend's favour turns into 2 bad breaks
- A man suffered serious fractures to both legs after he fell seven metres off a roof in Russell, just south of Ottawa, while helping his friend re-shingle the roof. more »
Top News Headlines
- Obesity now recognized as a disease
- Neil Macdonald: Washington's obsession with leakers
- Caregiving dads stigmatized at work suggests UofT study
- Dozens of children seized from Manitoba Mennonite community
- Friend's favour turns into 2 bad broken legs
- Minor hockey players reflect on career-ending concussions
- Gatineau promotes itself with free shuttle service
- Tory MP fined $155 for driving through Hill security stop
- Mike Fisher, Carrie Underwood selling Ottawa dream home
- Bob Rae quits as MP in 'very emotional' decision
- Canadian border agents being impersonated in phone scam
- Sharlene Bosma speaks out about husband's murder
- The Spartan Race in 90 seconds