Second McGuinty takes pass on federal Liberal leadership run
First Dalton McGuinty, now David McGuinty decides not to make leadership bid
The Canadian Press
Posted: Nov 19, 2012 8:04 PM ET
Last Updated: Nov 19, 2012 9:41 PM ET
First Dalton, now David McGuinty is taking a pass on running for the federal Liberal leadership.
Like his brother, retiring Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, the Ottawa MP said Monday he's decided he won't take the plunge.
David McGuinty told The Canadian Press he's concluded he can best serve the party in other ways.
"I've reflected long and hard on what is the best way for me to help rebuild the party, what is the best way for me to help hold down the fort, do what I call a lot of the ground work, a lot of the nuts and bolts work," he said in an interview.
"And I think I am best placed at this time to do what I'm doing, which is to really build the party from the ground up, riding by riding, issue by issue, in the committees, on the floor of the House of Commons.
"I just think there's so much heavy lifting to be done that, from my perspective, this is for me the best way to serve."
McGuinty said his decision has nothing to do with the widespread perception that Montreal MP Justin Trudeau, eldest son of former prime minister Pierre Trudeau, has already locked up the contest, which only officially began last week and culminates April 14.
"I don't place a lot of stock in prohibitive favourites," he said, pointing out that brother Dalton vaulted from fourth place to win the Ontario Liberal leadership in 1996.
The premier announced last month that he will retire as soon as a successor is chosen in January. Under pressure from a well-organized draft campaign, he briefly toyed with the notion of running for the federal leadership but eventually ruled that out.
David McGuinty said his brother's brief flirtation with the federal leadership had no bearing on his own decision.
"Could be worse. There's ten of us," he quipped, referring to his many siblings.
"I think Dalton owed it to a lot of folks to consider this and I'm glad he did.... Whatever he had decided to do or decides to do in future, I'll be there for him and I know he feels the same way about me."
In addition to the McGuinty brothers, a number of other prospective heavyweight contenders have chosen to sit out the contest, including Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney, former deputy prime minister John Manley, New Brunswick MP Dominic LeBlanc and Halifax MP Geoff Regan.
The most serious challenger to Trudeau so far is Martha Hall Findlay, the former MP who ran last in the 2006 leadership contest. She took the plunge last week.
A clutch of long shots have also declared their intention to challenge Trudeau, including lawyer and policy consultant Deborah Coyne, mother of Trudeau's half sister, Vancouver prosecutor Alex Burton, Ottawa lawyer David Bertschi, retired Canadian Forces Lt.-Col. Karen McCrimmon and David Merner, former president of the party's British Columbia wing.
Vancouver MP Joyce Murray is expected to join the race early next week. Montreal MP Marc Garneau, Canada's first astronaut, is also expected to eventually take the plunge, as is Toronto lawyer George Takach.
So far Trudeau is the only candidate who has officially registered with the party, which includes paying the first $25,000 instalment of a $75,000 entry fee.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Ottawa police probing possible dumpster arson in Bayshore
- Ottawa police are investigating a possible arson involving four dumpsters that damaged nearby vehicles on Woodridge Crescent Sunday morning. more »
- Man resuscitated after boat flips in Ottawa River
- A 60-year-old man was rescued from the Ottawa River after a boat he was fishing in flipped on Saturday afternoon at Crystal Beach, paramedics say. more »
- Man, 48, run over by forklift at Bank Street work site
- A 48-year-old man tripped at a work site on Saturday afternoon and was run over by a forklift, paramedics said. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- A 20-year-old woman died Saturday during an event for Jeep enthusiasts held in a parking lot just west of downtown Edmonton. more »
- 2 earthquakes felt in Ontario and Quebec
- Bagpiper finds extremely rare instrument at auction
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Fallen rugby player remembered at tournament
- Pens ride Sidney Crosby hat trick to put Sens in hole
- Teen rugby player dies after suffering head injury in game
- Gatineau officer shot her own leg, police say
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Homicide victim served jail time for 2008 stabbing