Baby girl, 2 women killed in crash south of Ottawa
Tractor trailer, van collide near town of Iroquois
Posted: Aug 27, 2012 7:14 AM ET
Last Updated: Aug 27, 2012 6:17 PM ET
Three members of a Quebec family, including a two-month-old girl, were killed in an early morning crash Monday on Highway 401 west of Iroquois, about 100 kilometres south of Ottawa.
Ontario Provincial Police said a tractor-trailer and a van collided at about 1 a.m. ET on Highway 401 between the towns of Cardinal and Iroquois, just after the turnoff to Highway 416.
Pronounced dead at the scene were the three of the van occupants, all from Chateauguay, Que.:
- Elissa Reid, 22.
- Moriah Gloria Warren, Reid's two-month-old daughter.
- Sheila McGlashen, 78, Reid's grandmother.
Three other family members in the van — Reid's father, mother and brother — were transported to Winchester Hospital and subsequently to the Civic Hospital in Ottawa with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.A young mother, her baby daughter and her grandmother were killed after their van collided with this tractor-trailer. (CBC)
The driver of the tractor-trailer was treated at Cornwall Community Hospital for minor injuries and has since been released.
Police said a fire erupted in the tractor-trailer after the collision and spread to the van.
It took crews several hours to remove the tractor-trailer from the scene.
Highway 401 westbound lanes opened to traffic at 9:30 a.m. One lane of Highway 401 eastbound remains closed.
Ontario Provincial Police officers remain at the scene and continue to investigate.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Ottawa police probing possible dumpster arson in Bayshore
- Ottawa police are investigating a possible arson involving four dumpsters that damaged nearby vehicles on Woodridge Crescent Sunday morning. more »
- Man resuscitated after boat flips in Ottawa River
- A 60-year-old man was rescued from the Ottawa River after a boat he was fishing in flipped on Saturday afternoon at Crystal Beach, paramedics say. more »
- Man, 48, run over by forklift at Bank Street work site
- A 48-year-old man tripped at a work site on Saturday afternoon and was run over by a forklift, paramedics said. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Jeep driver apologizes after stunt kills Edmonton woman
- A man claiming to be the driver of a Jeep that struck and killed a spectator at a charity event in Edmonton says he is sorry for what happened. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- 2 earthquakes felt in Ontario and Quebec
- Bagpiper finds extremely rare instrument at auction
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Fallen rugby player remembered at tournament
- Pens ride Sidney Crosby hat trick to put Sens in hole
- Teen rugby player dies after suffering head injury in game
- Gatineau officer shot her own leg, police say
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Homicide victim served jail time for 2008 stabbing