Police identify victims of Ontario plane crash
3 Toronto men, 1 Mississauga woman killed
Posted: Aug 26, 2012 1:07 PM ET
Last Updated: Aug 26, 2012 5:33 PM ET
Three men from Toronto and a Mississauga woman were killed when their plane crashed in a cornfield in southwestern Ontario, police said Sunday.
The Ontario Provincial Police have identified the victims of the tragedy in Mapleton Township as the following:
- Marko Misic, 20, of Toronto
- Mohammed Shahnawaz Zia, 23, of Toronto
- Wasay Rizwan, 27, of Toronto
- Victoria Margaret Luk, 19, of Mississauga
The OPP said Misic was the pilot. All four victims were transported to a Hamilton hospital for post-mortem examinations.Marko Misic, 20, was the pilot of the plane that crashed in Mapleton Township on Aug. 24, 2012.
The Transportation Safety Board is still probing the cause of the Friday evening crash.
The light-coloured Cessna 172 carrying the four young people went down in a cornfield at about 8:30 p.m. Friday.
Ken Webster, a regional investigator for the TSB, said the plane is "still generally intact," but suffered substantial damage in the crash.
He told CBC News that investigators will transport the aircraft to a TSB facility, where the probe into the crash will continue.
The plane had been rented from the Waterloo-Wellington Flight Centre prior to the crash.
The OPP said the plane took off from Breslau, Ont., and was supposed to travel to Toronto and then to Niagara Falls before returning to the airport.With files from The Canadian Press
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Ottawa police probing possible dumpster arson in Bayshore
- Ottawa police are investigating a possible arson involving four dumpsters that damaged nearby vehicles on Woodridge Crescent Sunday morning. more »
- Man resuscitated after boat flips in Ottawa River
- A 60-year-old man was rescued from the Ottawa River after a boat he was fishing in flipped on Saturday afternoon at Crystal Beach, paramedics say. more »
- Man, 48, run over by forklift at Bank Street work site
- A 48-year-old man tripped at a work site on Saturday afternoon and was run over by a forklift, paramedics said. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Jeep driver apologizes after stunt kills Edmonton woman
- A man claiming to be the driver of a Jeep that struck and killed a spectator at a charity event in Edmonton says he is sorry for what happened. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- 2 earthquakes felt in Ontario and Quebec
- Bagpiper finds extremely rare instrument at auction
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Fallen rugby player remembered at tournament
- Pens ride Sidney Crosby hat trick to put Sens in hole
- Teen rugby player dies after suffering head injury in game
- Gatineau officer shot her own leg, police say
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Homicide victim served jail time for 2008 stabbing