New swine flu strain prompts fairground health warning
Posted: Aug 23, 2012 9:30 AM ET
Last Updated: Aug 23, 2012 10:05 AM ET
Health officials are warning the public to keep a distance from pigs, after reports that more than 200 people in the U.S. contracted a relatively new strain of swine flu following contact with pigs at fairgrounds and petting zoos.
"Many Canadian families visit agricultural fairs taking place at this time of year and may be exposed to this flu virus," according to a public health notice issued by Health Canada earlier this week.
"The H3N2v virus doesn't spread easily from swine to people—and even less easily from person to person. In most cases, the virus causes only mild illness in people," said the notice.
Still, Health Canada recommends that pregnant women, children under five, and anyone at risk of serious complications from the flu avoid pigs altogether.
Not yet detected in Canada
The H3N2 strain was first detected in humans last year, according to Dr. Danuta Skowronski of the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.
“Even though we haven't seen this H3N2 virus in Canada — we haven't detected it yet — it's likely just a matter of time,” she said.The H3N2 strain was first detected in humans last year, according to Dr. Danuta Skowronski of the B.C. Centre for Disease Control. (CBC)
The centre is tracking the virus to see if it has the potential to become the next pandemic, but Skowronski says a previous swine flu outbreak has provided some immunity for most people.
In 2009 the H1N1 virus also originated from swine, and was so novel that most people had no built-in immunity like they do now.
"The population is not completely naive, they've seen this before. There is some protection that will dampen the chances of spread of this virus and will diminish the chance of a pandemic," Skowronski said.
No contact at PNE pig races
In Vancouver the Pacific National Exhibition does allow children to get close to other animals, like newly hatched chicks, but a petting zoo at the fair was ended following an E.coli outbreak in 2009.
This year the fair is featuring pig races, but the public is being kept at a distance, according to spokeswoman Laura Ballance
"There's no direct guest-to-pig contact as part of that show... So we feel confident that is a show that is going to provide very, very low risk to the general public," said Ballance.With files from the CBC's Lisa Johnson
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Woman's basement sprayed with raw sewage
- An Ottawa homeowner says she got little help after city workers flooded her basement with raw sewage last week. more »
- Gatineau promotes itself with free shuttle service
- A new bus service has launched in Gatineau as part of a larger push to market the Outaouais region and boost the economy. more »
- Canadian Tire Centre replaces Scotiabank Place
- The Ottawa Senators announced Tuesday morning that Scotiabank Place will be renamed the Canadian Tire Centre. more »
- 'Fireball' erupted during blaze on Pathway Private
- Police say the extensive damage caused by a large fire in Ottawa's Redwood neighbourhood early Tuesday morning may make it difficult to find out how it started. more »
Top News Headlines
- Neil Macdonald: Washington's obsession with leakers
- Julian Assange and Edward Snowden are just the most prominent targets in an all-out legal and propaganda campaign that America's security apparatus is mounting against leakers everywhere, Neil Macdonald writes. more »
- Who's who in the Senate expense controversy
- Keeping track of the names popping up in the ongoing Senate expenses controversy — from the investigators to the four senators themselves — could be a difficult task for even the most seasoned political observers. more »
- How open is Ottawa's new 'open data' website?
- Treasury Board President Tony Clement is touting the federal government's revamped data portal as a "new natural resource." But that online window for previously published data arrives at the same time the government faces controversy over just how open it really is. more »
- 2 men jailed in Dominican wedding fight return to Canada
- Two Canadian men who were detained in the Dominican Republic for nearly three weeks after a post-wedding fight broke out at a resort have returned to Toronto, the latest step in a drama that the wife of one of the men said was "like a scene from the movies." more »
- Mike Fisher, Carrie Underwood selling Ottawa dream home
- Ottawa craft beer breweries fuel Ontario boom
- The Spartan Race in 90 seconds
- Ottawa RedBlacks officially revealed as newest CFL team
- G8 leaders agree to 7-point plan on Syria as summit wraps
- Woman charged after drink tossed at Toronto Mayor Rob Ford
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford needs security, brother says
- Montreal mayor resigns amid corruption charges
- Sharlene Bosma speaks out about husband's murder