Patient deaths involving Ornge to be reviewed
The Canadian Press
Posted: Aug 15, 2012 11:00 AM ET
Last Updated: Aug 15, 2012 7:56 PM ET
Ontario's chief coroner is enlisting the help of experts to take another look at deaths involving the province's troubled air ambulance service over the past six years to determine whether Ornge transport may have played a role.
Dr. Andrew McCallum said his office did an initial review of some deaths and found that none of them appear to have been materially affected by issues involving transport by Ornge, which is currently under a criminal probe for financial irregularities.
Since then, other deaths have come to light, he said.
A panel comprising experts in air ambulance, pre-hospital care and emergency medicine is being established to "comprehensively review" all such cases, he said.
"The expert panel will provide their opinion as to whether or not issues pertaining to air ambulance transport had any impact on the outcome in each case, and may make recommendations aimed at preventing deaths in future," McCallum said in a release.
The exact number of deaths that will be reviewed hasn't been determined, but there are 17 cases so far that have been identified for the panel to consider, said deputy chief coroner Dr. Dan Cass, who will sit on the panel.
Work is already underway and the panel expects to deliver a report to the chief coroner by late fall.
The panel will be lead by Dr. Craig Muir, the regional supervising coroner in Sudbury and a former chief of surgery. It will also include two emergency physicians, Dr. Jonathan Dreyer and Dr. John Tallon. All have expertise in emergency care and trauma management.
Premier Dalton McGuinty said he wants to hear those recommendations.
"If the coroner's panel comes forward with any recommendations to enhance the safety measures then obviously we would be very interested in receiving those and putting those into place," he said.
The people who work at Ornge devote themselves to public safety, he added.
"I know they do the very best that they can, but if there's anything and all we could do to enhance safety conditions then we would like to do that."
A legislative committee spent several sessions probing the controversy that's engulfed Ornge, including former CEO Chris Mazza's $1.4-million compensation.
The province's auditor general has already questioned Ornge's business dealings and slammed the government for failing to oversee an organization that received $730 million over five years and borrowed $300 million more.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Canada Post tells residents that junk mail is useful
- Some Ottawa residents received letters from Canada Post asking them to consider accepting flyers and coupons. more »
- Senators top line reunited for Game 5 against Penguins
- The Ottawa Senators have done the unthinkable all season long and they will try to continue overcoming adversity tonight against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Dan Séguin previews Game 5 in Pittsburgh with the Sens down 3-1 in the series. more »
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford denies crack cocaine allegations
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has vehemently denied allegations that he was seen on a cellphone video smoking what appeared to be crack cocaine. more »
- Ottawa Race Weekend road closures
- There are several temporary road closures in the city during Ottawa Race Weekend. more »
Top News Headlines
- Washington police blame bridge collapse on Alberta trucker
- Washington State police say an Alberta trucker was responsible for hitting a steel beam precipitating a bridge collapse on one of the busiest routes in the American northwest. more »
- Royal Bank pledges not to outsource jobs for cash savings
- Royal Bank has promised it will never outsource a Canadian job to a foreign worker solely to save money. more »
- Canada ranks 3rd last in paid vacations
- Canada ranks third last among economically advanced countries in the amount of paid vacation time it guarantees its workers, a new U.S. study indicates. more »
- Group calls for probe of Tory database used in election robocalls
- The Council of Canadians is calling on the Conservative Party to make a list of everyone who had access to its electoral database during the last federal election and turn the information over to the RCMP and the commissioner of elections. "Anything less at this point would be a coverup," the council said in a press release Friday. more »
- Train travel back to normal after fatal crash in eastern Ontario
- Orleans man dies from stabbing injuries
- Hutt changed story, said he burned wife accidentally
- The Ottawa Senators love their dogs
- Ottawa Race Weekend running tips
- Reopen casino debate, Ottawa councillor urges
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Mike Duffy says he wants to give Canadians 'the whole story'
- Woman pleads for help after daughter kidnapped in Haiti