Police probe link between body and SQ pursuit
Posted: Aug 10, 2012 8:10 AM ET
Last Updated: Aug 10, 2012 10:31 AM ET
Police investigators from Montreal are looking into the death of a man whose body was found in Gracefield, Quebec yesterday.
The body of a man in his 50s was discovered Thursday at 8:30 a.m. along a bike path in the west Quebec town, about 100 kilometres north of Ottawa.
Police are investigating whether there is any link to a police chase a day earlier on Wednesday evening that began near Maniwaki, Que.
At about 9:45 p.m. Wednesday, Maniwaki Sûreté du Québec police began pursuit of a man on a motorcycle that police said did not meet road safety standards.
Police said they broke off pursuit after the man fled down a foot path near a bike path in a wooded area of Gracefield.
When the body was discovered Thursday morning, a motorcycle was found nearby.
At the request of the ministry of public safety, Montreal major crimes investigators were designated to look into the incident.
Sûreté du Québec police ask other police forces to investigate when there is a death or serious incident involving SQ officers.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Ottawa police probing possible dumpster arson in Bayshore
- Ottawa police are investigating a possible arson involving four dumpsters that damaged nearby vehicles on Woodridge Crescent Sunday morning. more »
- Man resuscitated after boat flips in Ottawa River
- A 60-year-old man was rescued from the Ottawa River after a boat he was fishing in flipped on Saturday afternoon at Crystal Beach, paramedics say. more »
- Man, 48, run over by forklift at Bank Street work site
- A 48-year-old man tripped at a work site on Saturday afternoon and was run over by a forklift, paramedics said. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- A 20-year-old woman died Saturday during an event for Jeep enthusiasts held in a parking lot just west of downtown Edmonton. more »
- 2 earthquakes felt in Ontario and Quebec
- Bagpiper finds extremely rare instrument at auction
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Fallen rugby player remembered at tournament
- Pens ride Sidney Crosby hat trick to put Sens in hole
- Teen rugby player dies after suffering head injury in game
- Gatineau officer shot her own leg, police say
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Homicide victim served jail time for 2008 stabbing