Pet owners reminded not to leave animals in cars
Posted: Jul 13, 2012 5:02 PM ET
Last Updated: Jul 14, 2012 3:57 PM ET
With high temperatures expected over the coming days, the Ottawa Humane Society is reminding people not to leave their pets in cars on hot days for any length of time, even with windows rolled down.Bruce Roney, executive director of the Ottawa Humane Society, said he's amazed people still leave their pets unattended in vehicles on sunny days. (CBC)
In June and July, three dog owners were charged by the society after their pets were left unattended in locked cars on hot days. In all three cases, the dogs were suffering from heat stress, the society said.
Miriam Smith, a rescue inspector, said the society has responded to 117 heat-related calls already this season.
"The amazing thing is it's still happening," said the society's executive director, Bruce Roney. "People still seem to think that it's OK to take their dog out, leave them in a hot car. Cracking a window is not enough. The temperature goes sky high very, very quickly, even on a mild day.
"And I'm just stunned that in this day and age, people are still doing this."
Amica Hewitt was working at a restaurant in the ByWard Market several years ago when someone ran into the restaurant, complaining that two older pugs had been left in a car.
It happened during a heat wave. The sunroof and windows were slightly open, Hewitt said.Amica Hewitt said she helped rescue two pugs from a hot car in the ByWard Market several years ago. (CBC)
She poured water through the sunroof and dialed 911. She was told to call the humane society.
Instead, she flagged down a police officer. He helped her open the car to get the dogs out.
"I brought them into the restaurant. They couldn't hold themselves up. It was really a sad situation," Hewitt said.
The owners were given a ticket and left, Hewitt said. The humane society took the animals in to treat them and told Hewitt they'd decide if the animals would go back to their owners.
The humane society said it's best on hot days to leave pets in a cool place with lots of water.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Woman's basement sprayed with raw sewage
- An Ottawa homeowner says she got little help after city workers flooded her basement with raw sewage last week. more »
- Gatineau promotes itself with free shuttle service
- A new bus service has launched in Gatineau as part of a larger push to market the Outaouais region and boost the economy. more »
- Canadian Tire Centre replaces Scotiabank Place
- The Ottawa Senators announced Tuesday morning that Scotiabank Place will be renamed the Canadian Tire Centre. more »
- 'Fireball' erupted during blaze on Pathway Private
- Police say the extensive damage caused by a large fire in Ottawa's Redwood neighbourhood early Tuesday morning may make it difficult to find out how it started. more »
Top News Headlines
- Neil Macdonald: Washington's obsession with leakers
- Julian Assange and Edward Snowden are just the most prominent targets in an all-out legal and propaganda campaign that America's security apparatus is mounting against leakers everywhere, Neil Macdonald writes. more »
- Who's who in the Senate expense controversy
- Keeping track of the names popping up in the ongoing Senate expenses controversy — from the investigators to the four senators themselves — could be a difficult task for even the most seasoned political observers. more »
- How open is Ottawa's new 'open data' website?
- Treasury Board President Tony Clement is touting the federal government's revamped data portal as a "new natural resource." But that online window for previously published data arrives at the same time the government faces controversy over just how open it really is. more »
- 2 men jailed in Dominican wedding fight return to Canada
- Two Canadian men who were detained in the Dominican Republic for nearly three weeks after a post-wedding fight broke out at a resort have returned to Toronto, the latest step in a drama that the wife of one of the men said was "like a scene from the movies." more »
- Mike Fisher, Carrie Underwood selling Ottawa dream home
- Ottawa craft beer breweries fuel Ontario boom
- The Spartan Race in 90 seconds
- Ottawa RedBlacks officially revealed as newest CFL team
- G8 leaders agree to 7-point plan on Syria as summit wraps
- Woman charged after drink tossed at Toronto Mayor Rob Ford
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford needs security, brother says
- Montreal mayor resigns amid corruption charges
- Sharlene Bosma speaks out about husband's murder