PM awards Hélène Campbell Diamond Jubilee Medal
Posted: May 23, 2012 6:38 PM ET
Last Updated: May 23, 2012 6:28 PM ET
Barrhaven's Hélène Campbell received the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal on Wednesday for her campaign to raise awareness for organ donation.
Presenting her the award in Toronto was Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his wife Laureen.
"Met Mr and Mrs @PMHarper today! It was an honour to meet them. Give the gift of life, #BeAnOrganDonor #GiveBlood" Campbell tweeted from her @alungstory account.
Campbell, 21, was diagnosed with advanced idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis last October and launched a Twitter campaign for organ donation that attracted the attention of celebrities Justin Beiber and Ellen Degeneres, attracting more than 15,000 followers.
Ontario's Trillium Gift of Life Network recently credited Campbell's efforts to a noticeable spike in new registrations for organ donors, up to 3,000 a week from 350.
She had a double lung transplant at Toronto General Hospital on April 6.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Ottawa police probing possible dumpster arson in Bayshore
- Ottawa police are investigating a possible arson involving four dumpsters that damaged nearby vehicles on Woodridge Crescent Sunday morning. more »
- Man resuscitated after boat flips in Ottawa River
- A 60-year-old man was rescued from the Ottawa River after a boat he was fishing in flipped on Saturday afternoon at Crystal Beach, paramedics say. more »
- Man, 48, run over by forklift at Bank Street work site
- A 48-year-old man tripped at a work site on Saturday afternoon and was run over by a forklift, paramedics said. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Jeep driver apologizes after stunt kills Edmonton woman
- A man claiming to be the driver of a Jeep that struck and killed a spectator at a charity event in Edmonton says he is sorry for what happened. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- 2 earthquakes felt in Ontario and Quebec
- Bagpiper finds extremely rare instrument at auction
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Fallen rugby player remembered at tournament
- Pens ride Sidney Crosby hat trick to put Sens in hole
- Teen rugby player dies after suffering head injury in game
- Gatineau officer shot her own leg, police say
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Homicide victim served jail time for 2008 stabbing