Ottawa's light rail deal dead for good
Last Updated: Friday, February 23, 2007 | 4:32 PM ET
Ottawa's cancelled light rail contract will not be considered again, city council announced Friday.
Councillors emerged from a meeting Friday afternoon with the announcement that the $778-million contract for a north-south electric light rail line from Barrhaven to downtown Ottawa, cancelled in December, is done for good.
The meeting was called to discuss a motion tabled Feb. 14 by Coun. Diane Deans asking council to consider reinstating the contract.
That day, the city received two letters from the companies contracted to design, build and maintain the line.
The first letter from Siemens-PCL/Dufferin offered to accept a $175.3-million settlement for the cancellation of the contract, while the other alternatively offered to go forward with the contract for an extra $70 million.
Shortly after that, Mayor Larry O'Brien ruled, based on advice from the city solicitor, that the motion was not allowed, according to council regulations.
Council then entered a two-hour closed-door meeting to discuss a possible settlement with Siemens.
When they emerged, councillors would not comment specifically on what had been discussed, but even those such as Deans who had been strong backers of the light rail plan seemed to have changed their minds.
"I think you'll find that there's a greater degree of concensus coming out of the room today than there was going in," said Deans.
The contract was approved by the previous city council in July, but the current city council, elected on Nov. 13, cancelled it in December.
O'Brien poll showed scant support for line
Earlier that day, O'Brien, who has always publicly opposed the rail line, released the results of a poll that showed little public support for reviving the deal.
The poll of suburban south-end residents who would have benefited directly from the rail line, commissioned by the mayor's office and conducted Feb. 19 to 21, found 52 per cent of the 803 respondents disagreed with council's decision to kill the light rail contract, but barely more than a third support reviving and going forward with the deal for an extra $70 million.
Meanwhile, only five per cent support paying the $175-million cancellation settlement.
Almost half (47 per cent) thought the city should find an alternative plan to improve the city's transit system.
When asked what transportation issues should be city council's focus right now, 37 per cent chose improved bus service, 30 per cent chose more roads, and only 28 per cent picked reviving the light rail plan.
The poll, conducted by Praxicus Public Strategies, is considered accurate to plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.
The mayor's chief of staff, Walter Robinson, said the poll, paid for out of the budget for the mayor's office, cost $7,000 to $8,000.
He added that its release on the day of the light rail vote was coincidental and arose because the offers from the Siemens consortium arrived only last week.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
- Orleans man dies from stabbing injuries
- An Ottawa man who was stabbed at his home in Orleans has died in hospital, according to his family. more »
- Hutt changed story, said he burned wife accidentally
- A man accused of scalding his wife and leaving her to die changed his story about how his wife was burned during a police interrogation, an Ottawa court heard today. more »
- Torch relay kicks off Ottawa Race Weekend
- Torchbearers carried the flame to Ottawa all the way from Marathon, Ont., on Thursday to help officially kick off Ottawa Race Weekend. more »
- Mike Duffy says he wants to give Canadians 'the whole story'
- Senator Mike Duffy says he wants a "full and open" inquiry so Canadians can get all the facts about the scandal that has rocked the Senate and the Prime Minister's Office and that he has no plans to resign. more »
Top News Headlines
- Rob Ford councillors set to take over if mayor steps down
- Members of Rob Ford's executive committee say they are prepared to take over the day-to-day running of the city of the Toronto mayor is no longer able to perform his duties, amid a scandal involving allegations he was caught on video smoking crack cocaine. more »
- Greg Weston: Senate scandal may be Harper's worst hour
- The widening Senate scandal that the prime minister flippantly tried to dismiss as a 'distraction' just days ago has instead become arguably Stephen Harper's worst hour. more »
- Man is ‘lucky to be alive’ after Washington bridge collapse
- A Washington state bridge over a river collapsed last night, dumping two vehicles into the water and sparking a rescue effort by boats and divers who searched the chilly waterway north of Seattle. more »
- 3D printers give rise to 'desktop manufacturing'
- Customizable objects from plastic dollhouse furniture to medical prosthetics can now be designed and printed out by almost anyone at the press of a button, and is going to lead to an 'explosion of new stuff,' predicts author Chris Anderson. more »
- Rob Ford fired chief of staff for telling mayor to 'get help'
- CBC News has learned the details of what precipitated the firing of Mark Towhey as Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's chief of staff — and it was advice from Towhey that Ford needs to 'get help.' more »
- Hutt changed story, said he flung hot water at wife accidentally
- The Ottawa Senators love their dogs
- Fire destroys 100-year-old barn near Kemptville, Ont.
- Orleans man dies from stabbing injuries
- Finding inspiration for the Sens
- Alleged Ford crack video seller not responding to calls
- Woman pleads for help after daughter kidnapped in Haiti
- Senators' Alfredsson on defeating Penguins: 'Probably not'
- Stabbing victim not expected to live, family says