An Ottawa man who was stabbed at his home while allegedly intervening to protect a friend is not expected to live, his family announced.

Michael Wassill was stabbed in the neck at his home on Fernleaf Crescent last week and has been in critical condition in hospital.

Wassill's family said the 20-year-old man is unlikely to live.


Michael Wassill's family said the 21-year-old man is not expected to live after he was stabbed in the neck last week. (Facebook)

"Michael's condition is very grave right now. The doctors have told us that he has irreversible brain damage, and it's likely going to take his life over the next few days," said Wassill's uncle, Paul Champ.

"He won't be recovering," he said.

"If he lives a bit longer it would just be his body," said Champ. The Ottawa Police Major Crimes Unit said the charges against the accused, Carson Morin, could be upgraded.

"If the victim does die, you can expect to see the charges get upgraded to possibly murder, and whether it's first or second-degree, we'll decide that after we have a consultation with the crown," said Staff-Sergeant Bruce Pirt.

Morin is currently facing charges of attempted murder and possession of a weapon dangerous to public peace.

It was in a posting on Facebook over the weekend that his family made the grim announcement.

"It is with indescribable grief and broken hearts that we inform you that our worst fears have been realized," reads the post on the page In Support of Michael Wassill.

"While the central part of his brain that controls the functions necessary for life, such as his heartbeat and breathing, are unaffected, the part that makes him the Michael we know and love is essentially gone. At this time doctors cannot tell us how much longer we will have with him."

Champ said the young man had agreed to let a female friend stay with him to help her get away from an unwanted relationship.

Champs said another man then showed up at the home in Ottawa's east end and attacked the woman. Wassill intervened and was stabbed, said Champ.

Twenty-year-old Morin appeared briefly in court Tuesday.