The Ottawa-area home of a Canadian soldier accused of first-degree murder in the death of his wife contained dozens of "medieval-type weapons," CBC News has learned.
Howard Richmond, 50, of Winchester, Ont., was charged in the death of his wife Melissa Richmond, 28, whose body was found in a ditch on July 28.
Richmond made his second court appearance Tuesday via video and he remains in custody.
- Canadian soldier charged with murder in wife's death
- Ottawa homicide victim helped husband through PTSD
The Richmonds were members of a historical group called the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is dedicated to recreating events from the Middle Ages.
Police sources told CBC News there were dozens of "medieval-type" weapons found while executing a search warrant inside the couple's home in Winchester, just south of Ottawa, last week.
The weapons included swords, throwing knives and blades, sources said.
Accused reported wife missing
Richmond had reported his wife missing on July 24, saying she took a late-night drive from their home in Winchester, just south of Ottawa, and never returned.
Her vehicle was recovered two days later in the parking lot of the South Keys Shopping Centre in south Ottawa.
Two days later, her body was recovered from a deep ditch near a storm drain along Bank Street, near the shopping centre. She had been stabbed multiple times, police sources told CBC News.
Since his arrest, Richmond has been segregated from fellow inmates at the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre, said a source at the prison. Richmond was also on suicide watch.
Howard Richmond had completed six tours of duty for the Canadian Forces — three in Afghanistan, two in Bosnia and one in Cyprus.
Veteran soldier of 25 years
Prior to his arrest, Richmond told CBC News he had received treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder and his wife of eight years was a "rock" of support.
Richmond has been with the Armed Forces since 1988. He was recently employed at the Integrated Personnel Support Centre in Ottawa, according to Canadian Forces spokeswoman Capt. Joanna Labonte.
Labonte said the Canadian Forces are aware he had been charged by the Ottawa Police Service and the Ontario Provincial Police, and said they will co-operate with the investigation.
In court Tuesday, Richmond's sister and a couple of other supporters were among those in attendance. Richmond, who was ordered not to speak to certain people while in custody, will make his next court appearance on Aug. 20.