The chef at the new Ottawa restaurant Segue, Rich Wilson, is inspired by what's in season right now and he makes meals based around that.
This week on CBC Radio's All In A Day, Wilson shares his recipe for sides to serve along with smoked mackerel, featuring local fennel and potatoes.
- 5 pounds of salt roasted new potatoes.
- 2 1/4 cups flour.
- 2 eggs plus one egg yolk.
- 4 tsp olive oil.
- 2 tbsp salt.
- 2 tsp pepper.
- Roast potatoes on a bed of kosher salt.
- Before potatoes come out of the oven, prepare wet and dry ingredients separately.
- Tamis the potatoes.
- Gently combine all ingredients until they just come together.
- Roll out into logs about 1 inch in diameter.
- Cut pieces about 1 inch long.
- Poach gnocchi in well-seasoned water, once they float remove them from the water and toss in additional olive oil.
- Caramelize in a pan with vegetable oil, finish with butter, salt and pepper (optional but recommended).
Brown Butter Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup of butter.
- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 1 shallot.
- 2 tbsp honey.
- 2 tbsp milk powder.
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown butter in a heavy bottom pot on medium heat with the shallot and milk powder. Allow to cool.
- Combine honey and vinegar in a blender and slowly add butter mixture followed by olive oil.
Pickled Fennel Bulb
- 1 litre white wine vinegar.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar.
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seed.
- 1 tbsp fennel seed.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 4 bulbs of fennel.
- Toast spices in a heavy bottom pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Jullienne fennel, pour hot pickling liquid over fennel.
- Let stand at least one hour.