Slain teen mourned at Ottawa mosque funeral

More than 200 people packed Ottawa's main mosque on Thursday for the funeral of 16-year-old Yazdan Ghiasi, who was shot dead Monday.
A memorial shows Yazdan Ghiasi, 16, who was shot dead Monday on Ottawa's Booth Street. ((CBC))

More than 200 people packed Ottawa's main mosque on Thursday for the funeral of 16-year-old Yazdan Ghiasi, who was shot dead Monday.

Ghiasi's mother cried and called his name through the entire ceremony. His father fell over the teen's wooden casket in agony at the end of the ceremony and had to be helped up by family and friends.

"There are no words to say … we lost a big loss," said Ramazan Karacali, who attended the funeral. "It doesn't make sense."

Yazdan Ghiasi, a student at Notre Dame High School, died after witnesses say he was dumped from a car on Booth Street south of Somerset Street West, bleeding from an apparent gunshot wound to the chest. He was pronounced dead later in hospital.

Three men were charged in Ghiasi's death and made brief appearances in court on Wednesday.

Abdulhamid Wehbe, 20, was charged with second-degree murder while Khaled Wehbe, 19, and Zakaria Dourhnou, 18, were each charged with being an accessory to murder after the fact.

Police have offered no official explanation of motive but said the shooting, the 10th homicide of the year in the city, was not gang-related.

Over 200 attended a funeral service for Yazdan Ghiasi, 16, at Ottawa's main mosque. ((CBC))

Many people from Ottawa's Iranian-Canadian community attended the funeral, while others came from all walks of life. Several students were bused in from Ghiasi's school and some from his tae kwon do group came as well.

Ghiasi was encouraging, hardworking and had a bright future, his friends said. The teen, who helped out at his father's auto garage on the weekends, wanted to design cars one day.

His body was buried at Beechwood Cemetery after the funeral. A memorial is to be held on Booth Street at 7:30 p.m. ET Thursday.