A sixth man has been charged with first-degree murder and kidnapping in the January shooting death of Mohamed Najdi, less than a week after five other men faced similar charges in the case.
Nadji, 28, was found in an outdoor courtyard on Claremont Drive, near St. Laurent Boulevard and Hemlock Road, in what police described as a targeted, gang-related shooting on the night of January 10. He died from his injuries in hospital.
Nedeljko Borozan, 26, was arrested earlier this week and made a brief court appearance Friday and was remanded into custody. He is expected to appear again court by video on Apr. 25.
Also appearing in court Friday was Mohamed Mohamed — who was already in jail on different charges.
Last Saturday, four other men — 33-year-old Alaa Asiri, 18-year-old Ali Elenezi, 26-year-old Lual Lual and 25-year-old Mohamud Yusuf, 25 — were arrested and charged in connection with the case.
Court documents allege that the five accused and an unidentified man attacked Najdi and another man in a parking lot at 10 Claremont Drive on the night of January 10. Nadji fought back and was shot in the back while trying to run away, according to documents, while the other man was bound with duct tape and forced into a black Chevrolet Suburban.
Mohamed is the alleged shooter.
At the time of his death, sources told CBC News that Najdi was a known gang member who was a witness of the 2015 shooting death of Sharif Said.
Najdi's death was the first of six homicides so far in Ottawa in 2016.