Rideau Canal Skateway is temporarily closed
World's largest skating rink opened for 48th season Jan. 5
CBC News Posted: Jan 08, 2018 3:35 PM ET Last Updated: Feb 15, 2018 5:17 AM ET
The National Capital Commission (NCC) has announced that the Rideau Canal Skateway will be temporarily closed starting at 10 p.m. on Valentine's Day in anticipation of rainy weather on Feb. 15.
Thursday's forecast includes periods of drizzle with temperatures reaching 6 C, according to Environment Canada.
Such conditions are expected to "erode the ice surface," the NCC said in a tweet.
The National Capital Commission provides updates via its @NCC_Skateway Twitter account, as well as an interactive map that shows conditions along the canal's length.
Click below to check the state of the ice on your preferred stretch.
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
Top News Headlines
- Becca Schofield, N.B. teen who inspired #BeccaToldMeTo campaign, has died
- Trudeau's vow on Indigenous rights is 'long time coming,' says royal commission co-chair
- Neptune's mysterious storms are short lived, and they smell like rotten eggs
- Opposition grows to Bell, Rogers-backed plan to block piracy websites
- SIU naloxone request 'nonsense,' says Ottawa police board chair
- Support pours in after former MP Paul Dewar diagnosed with brain tumour
- Shot fired during robbery at Montreal Road pot dispensary
- 2 seriously hurt in Highway 50 crash
- Here's what's open and closed on Family Day
- Free things to do in Ottawa this Family Day
- Eat like an Olympian: Korean buckwheat noodles and potato pancakes
- Firefighters contain blaze at marijuana dispensary building
- Pay public servants for Phoenix stress, unions tell PM
- High of 2 C and a sunny afternoon