Rideau Canal Skateway is open again
World's largest skating rink opened for 48th season Jan. 5
CBC News Posted: Jan 08, 2018 3:35 PM ET Last Updated: Jan 16, 2018 7:56 AM ET
Most of the Rideau Canal Skateway is open again this morning after a weekend of subzero temperatures.
The canal was closed last week after unseasonably warm temperatures melted some of the ice and made conditions unsafe for skaters.
But the temperature dropped Friday afternoon and remained between –13 C and –27 C all weekend.
The skateway opened at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 16, from Somerset Street to Hartwells Locks, the National Capital Commission said.
The National Capital Commission provides updates via its @NCC_Skateway Twitter account, as well as an interactive map that shows conditions along the canal's length. Click below to check the state of the ice on your preferred stretch.
Severe weather warnings or watches in effect for:
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
Top News Headlines
- Why an eastern Ontario township is turning to volunteers to build infrastructure
- Freezing rain warnings issued for eastern Ontario, western Quebec
- Shots fired from vehicle in Bells Corners
- 'He had no regrets': Friends, family remember whistleblower Shiv Chopra
- Ottawa man charged with luring, distributing child pornography
- Man accused of beating daughter who refused to wear hijab
- Neighbours shocked by Friday night shooting in Findlay Creek
- Gatineau police investigate after strip club hit with bullets
- Mild temperatures Sunday change to freezing rain Monday
- Churches upset by new abortion clause in jobs program