A two-year-old boy is recovering in an Ottawa hospital after a tube-style television fell off a small dresser and onto his head on Easter morning.

Ottawa paramedics responded to a home in the 1000 block of Rosenthal Avenue, which is in the city’s Carlington area, at about 8:36 a.m. ET.

They found a toddler who was in and out of consciousness after he suffered a head injury, paramedics said. 

The injury was caused by a smaller tube-style TV, which also featured a DVD player, that fell off a three-drawer dresser in the boy’s bedroom, according to the boy’s grandmother.

Everyone else was asleep, grandma says

Frances Barbe said her grandson Jayce was trying to reach for something while everyone else in the house was asleep.

She said there were chocolate eggs hidden in the house, but she didn’t know if the boy was reaching for an egg when the TV fell.

Jayce Barbe-Pond TV Fall Fractured Skull

Two-year-old Jayce Barbe-Pond is recovering after a television fell on him Sunday morning. (Courtesy Frances Barbe)

​“This is very upsetting. I can’t believe this has happened,” Barbe said. “We’re just hoping that Jayce is OK.”

Jayce Barbe-Pond was stabilized by paramedics and taken to the trauma unit at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario with life threatening injuries, paramedics said.

On Sunday night, Barbe said Jayce was talking and would be at CHEO for "a few weeks" recovering from a skull fracture.

Police are not investigating, calling it a "tragic and unfortunate accident." Children's Aid Services is investigating.