Ottawa drivers struggle on icy roads Friday
Ottawa police report 45 collisions since 6 a.m. as the OPP closes a portion of Highway 416
Ottawa police have reported 45 collisions since 6 a.m. Friday morning, as the city's prolonged deep freeze has made for slippery road conditions.
- Interactive: Winter driving tips
- Frostbite advisory safety information
- CBC Ottawa weather information
- Visit Ian Black's weather page
- Blizzard barrels toward Atlantic Canada as deep freeze continues
Police said roads in Ottawa are icy and slippery and warn drivers to adjust their driving based on those treacherous road conditions.
The Ontario Provincial Police said they have also had to deal with multiple collisions because of the poor driving conditions, and are urging motorists to slow down when travelling on the highways.
The southbound lanes of Highway 416 at Fallowfield Road were closed this morning because of black ice, with one lane reopening just before noon.