Easter weekend means schedule changes for many stores and services in Ottawa. Here’s a quick summary.
Shopping and financial
- Ottawa’s malls, including St. Laurent Centre, Place d’Orleans, the Rideau Centre and Bayshore, will be closed Good Friday and Easter Sunday, but open Saturday and Easter Monday.
- Most grocery stores in Ottawa will be closed Good Friday and Easter Sunday. However, grocery stores in Gatineau will be open Good Friday but closed Easter Sunday.
- The LCBO and Beer Store will also be closed Good Friday and Easter Sunday, but open Saturday and on Easter Monday. SAQ stores in Gatineau are open Good Friday.
- Banks are closed Good Friday but open again on Easter Monday.
- The Ottawa Public Library is closed every day except Saturday.
- City pools, arenas and fitness centres will be open throughout the weekend, but most programs are cancelled. They ask you to double-check as there are some exceptions.
- Ottawa City Hall and its seven service centres are closed throughout the weekend, as is the provincial courthouse on the corner of Laurier Avenue and Elgin Street.
- If your waste is normally picked up on Fridays, it will now be taken away on Saturday, April 19. The following week waste pickup is delayed a day; people whose garbage and bins are usually taken on Monday have their day moved to Tuesday, Tuesday to Wednesday, etc.
- The Trail Waste Facility is closed on Good Friday and Easter Monday.
- City-managed child care centres are closed.
- Ottawa Public Health services, such as the health information line, AIDS-sexual health line, sexual health centre, Site office, dental clinics and well baby drop-in, are all closed.
- A Sunday schedule will be in place for OC Transpo on Good Friday, with sales centres and the customer relations department shut down.
- On Monday OC Transpo will see some “minor” weekday schedule reductions, along with the cancellation of school routes in the 600s and supplementary school routes.
- The Rideau Centre’s OC Transpo sales office is the only one that’s open Monday, 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Their customer relations line will be closed.
- The STO in Gatineau will be running Saturday service on Good Friday and Easter Monday.
Museums and tourism
- National museums — including the Canadian Museum of Nature, National Gallery of Canada, Canadian Museum of History and Canadian Science and Technology Museum — are open all weekend, including Easter Monday, even if they are normally closed on Mondays.
- Billings Estate National Historic Site, Cumberland Heritage Village Museum, Pinhey's Point Historic Site and Fairfields Heritage Property will all be open for Easter special events on Saturday, April 19. Nepean Museum will be open for regular operations.
- City-run arts centres, archives, galleries and theatres will be closed on Good Friday and Easter Monday. However, clients should check with ottawa.ca or their facility to confirm, as some exceptions may apply.
- Karsh-Masson Gallery at City Hall will remain open over the Easter weekend.