Ontario manslaughter sentence delayed 3 more months
Eastern Ontario convict to have at least 22-month wait for sentence, victim's family upset
The case of an eastern Ontario man convicted of manslaughter in a 2008 bar fight will last at least 22 months post-verdict, as the sentence was delayed once again.
Gerald Camelon, now 40, was found guilty on St. Patrick's Day 2011 of manslaughter in the death of 40-year-old Shawn Ayotte.
Ayotte's family was in a Perth, Ont., court Thursday hoping for a sentence, but Camelon's defence lawyer argued the convict had changed after taking an anger management course.
The lawyer also wanted a new pre-sentencing report from the court, calling the current one "dark" and "one-sided," reported CBC Ottawa's Evan Dyer.
Lighter sentence likely: Judge
The judge reluctantly agreed to delay the case until Feb. 19, 2013, which will allow for a new pre-sentencing report. The judge admitted that will likely mean a lighter sentence.
Ayotte and Camelon, who had previously known of each other while serving time in a Brockville, Ont., jail, had come face to face on Nov. 7, 2008 outside the Mississippi Ale House in Carleton Place, Ont., which is now called Shenanigans Restaurant & Bar.
Camelon, a resident of Franktown, Ont., who had earlier suffered a severe head injury in a car crash, said Ayotte threatened to knock him out and "to be knocked out is death," he told CBC News last month.
After a short trial in late 2010, Camelon was convicted but he is still waiting for a sentence despite six scheduled appearances for sentencing.
He currently lives at home with an 11 p.m. curfew.