Neighbour rescues dog from Stittsville house fire

A fire at a two-storey house in Stittsville has forced a family of four from their home Tuesday morning.

Damage estimated at about $475,000

Firefighters work to put out the blaze at 5 Bell Street in Stittsville after it spread to the home's attic. (CBC)

A fire at a two-storey house in Stittsville has forced a family of four from their home Tuesday morning.

Fire crews were called to 5 Bell St. near the Stittsville Library just after 8 a.m. Tuesday and arrived to see the fire spreading up the side of the home and into the second floor and attic.

No one was home at the time, but one of the neighbours who noticed the smoke went inside and rescued the family's dog, a chocolate Labrador.

Firefighters say the fire started in worn electrical wiring in a gazebo on the rear deck, then spread to the home itself.

The fire caused about $475,000 in damage to the home and its contents, according to Ottawa fire services spokesman Marc Messier. The fire department initially estimated damage at about $275,000.