Saint Clare @ House of Targ, Friday at 9 p.m., $5
House of Targ is a good place to start when looking at what's happening around town on Friday. Ottawa's Saint Clare will be heating things up for the subterranean Targ crowd that night. Matthew Saint Clare, who used to play in garage-pop band The Shakey Aches, leads the band. It's satisfying to see him putting that same musical energy and talent into another project - this one a little higher on the synth-pop scale. Besides Saint Clare, Yuma County and Ballad Fiasco are also playing so all you'll need to worry about is having a decent supply of quarters for pinball games between sets. 9 p.m., $5.
Winchester Warm @ St. Alban's, Friday at 8 p.m., $10
There's no shortage of other places to go on Friday, depending on what mood you're going for. At St. Alban's, for example, Winchester Warm is launching a new album for the first time in nearly four years. They sent me a copy of "Belle Attente" and I can tell you fans of the band will not be disappointed if they've been waiting patiently for a new album since 2010! For this launch party, Winchester Warm will be teaming up with Claude Munson & The Storm Outside, who will open the show. It's a perfect pairing of two very distinct acts. 8 p.m., $10.
Rommel Ribeiro w/ Jordan Zalis, Priya Shah, Tariq Amery @ Pressed, Friday at 8 p.m., $5
Pressed is another option for Friday. That’s where you can catch four young musicians for only a fiver at the door. Jordan Zalis, Priya Shah, Tariq Amery and Rommel Ribeiro will all be taking the stage individually at 750 Gladstone Ave. The latter has been making some serious waves in Canada’s world music scene since he came here from Brazil in 2006.
Rommel quickly hit it off with musicians like Ottawa's People Project collective and became a performance staple for the Cafe Nostalgica crowd. I saw him play a couple of months ago at a Carleton music program showcase concert where I was part of a panel of judges. What struck me weren’t just his technical abilities, but his endearing sense of humour and flair as a performer (Totally gave him a top score.) To see Rommel Ribeiro and friends at Pressed on Friday, be there at 8 p.m. and have $5 handy.
aVibe Music and Arts Festival at Vincent Massey Park, Saturday at 2 p.m., $40
On Saturday, the inaugural aVibe Music and Arts Festival is taking over Vincent Massey Park. It'll feature artisan vendors and craft beer, not to mention a healthy selection of funk, reggae and soul music from acts like Les Mosquitos, Tympanic and Toronto group The House of David Gang (a tribute to a classic T.O. venue that nourished the reggae and Rastafarian scene in the 80s and early 90s). One of the cool things about aVibe is it's being put on by Brew Bus Lounge, which is made up of a couple of guys who have collected old Volkswagen buses and turned them into a place to serve local craft beer on tap. The festival starts at 2 p.m. on Saturday. Tickets are $40, but admission is free for kids under 10.
- Saint Clare @ House of Targ w/ Yuma County, Ballad Fiasco, 9 p.m., $5
- Rommel Ribeiro, Jordan Zalis, Priya Shah, Tariq Amery @ Pressed, 8 p.m., $5
- Winchester Warm @ St. Alban's w/ Claude Munson & The Storm Outside, 8 p.m., $10
- Fred Eaglesmith @ Black Sheep Inn, 8:30 p.m., $30
- Shari Ulrich @ NAC Fourth Stage w/ Julia Graff, 7:30 p.m., $25
- Flash Lightnin' @ Mavericks w/ The Wicked Mercy, Metronome Jones, 8 p.m., $10
- Slowcoaster @ Neat Coffee Shop, 7:30 p.m., $20
- Cody Allen @ The Branch, 9 p.m., $5
- Joe Gaspar Band & Crunchy Flower @ Irene's, 9:30 p.m., $8
- aVibe Music Festival @ Vincent Massey Park w/ Turn Style, Les Mosquitos, Tympanic, Slowcoaster, House of David Gang, DJ Zattar, 2:30 p.m. to 11 p.m., $40 (free for kids under 10)
- Delta Will @ Pressed w/ More Please! 8 p.m., $10
- Public Animal @ House of Targ w/ Mokomokai, Blackbeard, 9 p.m., $5
- Better Living Through Chemistry @ Irene's w/ And What Army, 9:30 p.m., $5
- Malignancy, Fumigation, Antlion, Deathrow Six @ Cafe Dekcuf, 7 p.m., $10
- Judy Collins @ Southminster United Church, 8 p.m., $39.50
- Durham County Poets @ The Branch, 9 p.m., $10
- Fred Eaglesmith @ Black Sheep Inn, 8:30p.m., $30
- Massy Emond @ Le Troquet w/ Joanie Michaud, 9:30 p.m., $10
- Garnet Rogers @ Neat Coffee Shop w/ Natalia Zukerman, 7:30 p.m., $30
- Hollerado @ York and Dalhousie streets, Red Bull Tour Bus Hometown Tour, 3 p.m., free
- Lonesome Ace Stringband @ Pressed w/ Occasional Pudding, 8 p.m., $8
- The Ridgemont Revelers @ Irene's, 8:30 p.m., free
- Kite Trio @ Le Petit Chicago, 10 p.m., $5
- Slumlord, Hopeless Youth, Badlands, Life on Trial, At Odds @ Club SAW, 6:30 p.m., $12
- Hayden @ Black Sheep Inn, 8:30 p.m., $20
- Ottawa Explosion Weekend Day #1 @ Club SAW, OUTSIDE: Stay Classy, Terrible Liars, Laureate, Camp Radio; INSIDE: Neck, Audio, Finderskeepers, School Damage, 7p.m., $5