Lynne Hanson + Al Wood @ Irene's: Saturday, Feb. 15, 9 p.m., $10
If your idea of a Valentine's Day celebration is more of an "avoid at all costs" scenario, then head out to the clubs on Saturday instead. There are myriad choices there too. Kalle Mattson at Zaphod's for his CD release is a solid choice. Ken Workman is at Kaffe 1870 and there are more Jazz festivities at Library & Archives Canada. However, Lynn Hanson and Al Woods have the right idea for a February 15 show.
They are calling their gig at Irene's a Valentine's Day Hangover. Lynne's last album definitely reads like one, if you just go for the lyrics sheet. However her witty banter and upbeat tempos will keep the mood from ever being maudlin. Lynne and Al promise songs about love, songs about pain, in the key of blue, and even special guests too. Irene's is the home stage for many an Ottawa musician, including these two, so they'll make you feel right at home. If your boots could use some action then they'll be happy because Lynne's playing full band so you'll have an excuse to two-step.
Bandwidth, CBC Radio One 5-6 pm Saturdays
Free of charge on Bandwidth I have a concert included in that ticket price! Whitehorse consists of married lovers Luke Doucet and Melissa McClelland, and this is a pretty smoking private session recorded exclusively for CBC. Plus I'll have tunes from other in-love music makers including Graydon James & the Young Novelists (and a Sprinterview with Graydon versus his wife Laura Spink) and the winners of the Sultans of String contest I held last week. See you on the radio!
Winter Jazz Fest: This year the Winter Festival will borrow a popular feature from its summer counterpart. ARC The.Hotel will host jam sessions on Feb. 14 and 15 starting at 10:30 p.m. in the Arc Lounge. The house band will be led by Festival Programming Manager and professional saxophonist Petr Cancura.
Arc The Hotel is serving as host hotel for the Winter Jazz Festival making the location extremely convenient for visiting artists so you never know who may sit in. As always local players are encouraged to bring their instruments and play on a few tunes. Cover for the jam is free with a ticket or stub to any 2014 Winter Jazz Festival show or $10 at the door.
Saturday, Feb. 15
- The Sicilian Jazz Project @ Library & Archives Canada - Auditorium 7 p.m., $35.
- John Abercrombie Quartet @ Library & Archives Canada - Auditorium 9 p.m., $35.
- The Luke Bryan Experience + Zak Mcknight + Rich Chris + Goat + Sketchy Poutine @ Avante Garde Bar, 9 p.m., $tbd.
- Lynne Hanson + Al Woods & the Woodmen "Valentine's Day Hangover" @ Irene's, 9 p.m., $10
- Kalle Mattson (CD release) + Paterson Hall + Pith and the Parenchymas @ Zaphod Beeblebrox, 8:30 p.m., $13.
- Still Winter Hills + Blisster and The Saddle Sores @ Lunenberg Pub (14 Waller St). 9 p.m., $4 ($3 students).
- Steeve Michaud @ Maison de la culture de Gatineau, Salle Odyssée, 855 de la Gappe Boulevard, Gatineau,QC 8 p.m., $34+.
- Kelly Joe Phelps + Tim Chaisson @ The Blacksheep Inn, Wakefield, 8:30 p.m., $15.
- Ken Workman @ Kaffe 1870, Wakefield, 9 p.m., $tbd.
- Farewell Davidson + Bernadette The Collective @ Fatboys Smokehouse (34 Murray St.) 9 p.m., $5.
- Ashley MacIsaac + The Abrams Brothers @ NAC Theatre, 7:30 $29+.
Sunday, Feb. 16
- Born Of Osiris + I, The Breather + City In The Sea + Killitorous + Infiltration @ Ritual, 7 p.m., $17.
- The Blind Boys of Alabama @ Dominion-Chalmers United Church 7 p.m., $32-$60 (Winter Jazz Fest).
- Old Man Luedecke + Jordie Lane @ The Blacksheep Inn, Wakefield, 4:30 p.m., $20 adv.
Tuesday, Feb. 18
- The Hidden Cameras + Loon Choir @ Zaphod Beeblebrox, 8:30 p.m., $15.
Wednesday, Feb. 19
- Moonspell + Leaves' Eyes + Atrocity @ Ritual, 7:30 p.m., $25.