The Agriculture Workers Alliance said the death of a migrant worker in an incident on an eastern Ontario farm on Monday is the 13th in the province this year.
The Ministry of Labour is investigating the death of the 38-year-old Mexican worker who was fatally injured at an orchard operation in Prince Edward County.
The worker was attaching a water tank to a tractor when the attachment fell, trapping him between it and the tractor. Efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.
United Food and Commercial Workers Canada president Wayne Hanley said it has been a devastating year in Ontario and called for action from the federal or provincial governments to protect migrant workers.
Hanley said lack of enforcement and educational programs specific to the needs of the workers and the industry have failed to materialize.
Earlier this year, the union raised more than $225,000 for the families of 10 migrant workers killed in a collision near Hampstead, in southwestern Ontario.
"The number of workers not returning to their families will continue to grow if we don't act soon," Hanley said Tuesday.